Hello, Firstly - I've been using this forum for many months now, and its assisted ... Server Admins forum

spyduh no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Issue with moving mailbox/stores.

Advertisement

Hello,

Firstly - I've been using this forum for many months now, and its assisted me plenty of times in resolving tricky blackberry/BES issues - thanks so much!

I've got two queries I can't seem to resolve though, hopefully someone here can help.

At my company, we run a BES(4.1) in an Microsoft Exchange 2003 enviornment.

1) We have an issue when users mail stores(not mailboxes) are moved.

Example : If a user is moved from a 100mb mail store, onto a 250mb(while remaining on the same mail server) - the BES fails to recognise this.

When this occurs, the blackberry ceases receiving mail. Re-activation attempts also fail.

Its as if the BES is not realising the mailbox has moved to a different store - it seems to only check what mail server the user is on, and not the actual mail store.

I'm able to move users to different mail servers, and the BES recognises this without a problem. Its just when moving users between mail stores while remaining on the same mail server that this becomes an issue.

To resolve the issue at present, I'm moving the user to another mail server - waiting for the BES to recognise this, then moving them back to the store/server required, which is a pain.

I've seen other people say the only way is to stop/start the BES services? Surely there is another way, as this would be distruptive to everyone else?

2) My other query relates to importing BES users from a file(in the event the production server fails).

I understand how to Export To a file within the blackberry manager, but how do you import this information onto the BES? Do you simply need to manually add the information listed in the exported file?

Hope someone can help, thanks again

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Re: Issue with moving mailbox/stores.

The only way I've seen to make the BES recognize the change is either to stop the services on the BES, or boot the box.

I have a network admin that was moving some users around to different mail stores and people stopped getting mail as well. Personally I don't know of another way for it to see the change.

Ours will see if you move a user to another server as well.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Sorry, not sure about your second issue.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

leob no está en línea BES Pro

To answer your first issue, bouncing your BES or restarting the BB Services can cure it. When I asked RIM about this same thing when I ran into it they suggest using handheldcleanup tool. Here is the link to RIM's knowledge base on this: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynam...C&kcId=KB00140

I've never looked into exporting/importing users. My company stores the BB database on a seperate server would be a better DRP plan. Just regularly back up that DB server.

GazN no está en línea Stack level 2

For part II of the query - as long as you have a backup of the database, if for any reason you have problems - you can just restore this (for example we have ours running on a seperate Sql box) and then point the BES server to that database.

texaskrs no está en línea Stack level 1

Question #1 - I feel your pain, I have ran into this more times than i care to think of. We have just started scheduling a re-boot of the BES after mailbox moves. In a nutshell, if a mailbox is moved from one mailbox store to another within the same Microsoft Exchange server, the BlackBerry device user will not be able to send and receive messages until the BlackBerry Enterprise Server is restarted.

you can refer to KB00142 on Blackberry support website.

Not sure on question #2

spyduh no está en línea Stack level 1

Yeah I've tried the handheldcleanup utility in the past, and it hasn't helped unfortunately.

Thanks all for your reply, was kinda hoping for an easier fix than having to stop/start all the services - but after reading an official response from RIM, I guess it'll have to do

Thanks again