We have a lot of people on our BES server. Unfortunitly, in some areas we ... Server Admins forum

BCM_M no está en línea Stack level 1

Is it possible to initiate a wipe from outside the BES console?

Advertisement

We have a lot of people on our BES server. Unfortunitly, in some areas we have high turn over, and some of the people who are terminated have personal blackberries.

Currently, we don't wipe terminated employees' blackberries unless it's a hostile or sensitive termination and I have to initiate this through the BES console.

I would like to be able to send a wipe command to all terminated employees (perhaps through a script?)

I'm thinking that perhaps we could link our background termination process to the BES server.

I'm hoping I could execute a script that would tell the BES server to initiate a wipe on the username if there is a BES associated with it

Does anyone have any suggestions? Real life expierienes?

Thanks,

Mike

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Other than doing a remote kill I don't know any other way that it would be possible. Does your company have some kind of agreement with these particular users before they are setup on the BES server? If it is the users personal blackberry I'm sure they're not going to like the idea that you're going to completely wipe their device including their personal information as well? Sorry to not have a lot of insight on this subject but this is all I can think of at the moment.

leob no está en línea BES Pro
    I suggest downloading and researching the Server Resource Kit. I have yet to implement myself at my workplace but you can pretty much script anything you can do from the Management console.

You can install the server portion of the resource kit on your BES. There's a client portion you can put anywhere (except the same server you have the server portion). So you could run the client portion on your pc and run scripts for jobs you want your BES to run, like wipe users BB devices.

Hope this helps!

BCM_M no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BES Noob View Post
    your company have some kind of agreement with these particular users before they are setup on the BES server? If it is the users personal blackberry I'm sure they're not going to like the idea that you're going to completely wipe their device including their personal information as well? Sorry to not have a lot of insight on this subject but this is all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks for writing. Yes we have a form that the customer's fill out before adding personal devices to the BES. It spells out that when they no longer work at our company, we have the right to wipe the data from the device. It also goes on to say that any support is a best attempt because it is a personal device (and doesn't qualify for our corporate support contract.) We actually have them initial each line.

Luckly our IT Security department is very sensitive about data security and very paranoid about any potential breach of security.

M

qc_metal no está en línea Developer
    Resource Kit is definitely the answer.

The BesUserAdminClient tool has the capability of deleting a list of users from a file.

Here's the command syntax/help text:

Code:
    [16:30:52] BESUserAdmin::Help - Sample '-delete' command:
    [16:30:52] BESUserAdmin::Help - -p password -delete -u user@domain.com -b BES1 -f
    [16:30:52] BESUserAdmin::Help -
    [16:30:52] BESUserAdmin::Help - Sample '-delete' command using input file C:\delete.txt:
    [16:30:52] BESUserAdmin::Help - -p password -delete -i C:\delete.txt -f
    [16:30:52] BESUserAdmin::Help -
    [16:30:52] BESUserAdmin::Help - NOTE: Input file C:\delete.txt contains the following text:
    [16:30:52] BESUserAdmin::Help - user@domain.com,BES1

funkym no está en línea Stack level 3
    I used a program called EmergencyWipe for manually wiping my BlackBerry's contacts, calendar items, tasks and so on. It is a third party application which operates directly on the device so it is technically not BES specific.

qc_metal no está en línea Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by funkym View Post
    I used a program called EmergencyWipe for manually wiping my BlackBerry's contacts, calendar items, tasks and so on. It is a third party application which operates directly on the device so it is technically not BES specific.
    If security is a concern, I don't think a localized installation of a 3rd party wipe program is going to be what he is looking for...

OP was looking for a way to provide the BES admins with a way to perform wipes en masse.