Hi all, Does anyone have or seen an Implementation Plan to upgrade 4.0- BES to ... Server Admins forum

wde3h no está en línea Stack level 1

Implementation Plan to upgrade 4.0- BES to 4.1

Advertisement

Hi all,
    Does anyone have or seen an Implementation Plan to upgrade 4.0- BES to 4.1? I need to draft a plan to migrated 1000 plus customers from a 4.0 BES to 4.1 BES and migrate all customers that are running 7290 Blackberries to the new 4.1 HH software. If someone has a template or has an EIP this would save me weeks of work.

Thanks in advance

Crimesy no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Implementation Plan to upgrade 4.0- BES to 4.1

We haven't gone through the process of upgrading the servers to 4.1 yet but we're planning to do so next month. I'll try and post as much info as I can, confidentiality clauses and the Official Secrets Act 1911, 1920 and 1989 permitting.

However, having previously had to upgrade some 200 x 7230 BlackBerys from vers 3.7 and 4.0.77 to 4.0.188 it was a painfully slow process. The only way I found that worked was to pre-warn the users at a given location and then go on site and have an mass upgrade day, those that missed more than 2 appointments got their devices suspended on the BES until they returned them for an upgrade - a bit tough but it worked.

It's worth making sure that any user documentation you have on the 7290 device is checked as there are some extra menus on 4.1 handheld and some of the items on the Options menu are in different places or have new names.

wde3h no está en línea Stack level 1

Thank you, We have also tested and I have 4.1 BES stood up and have started to migrate users. I was looking for a good outline. I have upgraded most of the 7290 to the 4.1 with a filling station effect this is what RIM recommended. We are also using the SMIME Bluetooth Smart Readers and this is the only reason why we have to touch each hand held.

garycutri no está en línea Stack level 3

With all my BES 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade I just upgrade version 4 to service pack 5a and then upgrade to 4.1.2. I have done just on 80 sites now with zero issues, it's been a simple 15 minute process. Most sites have a mix of handhelds running 4 and 4.1, I just upgrade anything prior to 4.

What sort of info do you need for your IP? I have details on benefits, install steps, roll back procedures etc.

SoUnCool no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    2060475F

i am also going to upgrade my BEs 4.0 to 4.1.
    i have variety of devices 7250,7290,8700 all devices are 4.0 or 4,1
    i am thinking of doing a clean install of BES 4.1. move my users to new server. then do another clean install on old server and move 50% of users back to old one for load balanceing. i have two SRP keys. and also planing to host SQL database on a seperate server, any information for this upgrade much appreciated

garycutri no está en línea Stack level 3

I have done a number of BES 4.0 to 4.1 upgrades (approx 50) which went perfect. I always upgrade to service pack 5a first and then wait a few days to see if the system is stable. The average site had 50 users up to 170 users. With all the devices already being up to version 4.0.x the upgrade only takes 15 to 20 minutes. Always ensure you have a backup of ALL the BES databases and an exact copy (including service pack) of your existing software. I have had some other techs that have had the upgrade fail and they rolled back to the previous setup within 45 minutes.

One thing people always forget to consider during upgrades is any apps added\installed on the BES server since it was setup. So don't only plan for the 4.1 upgrade consider any add-ons, including Messenger services etc that will possible not function once the BES version is updated.

Blackberry Support Forums - Asia Pacific
    www.blackberryforums.com.au

boby503 no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi All, Can somebody send me details on benefits, install steps, roll back procedures etc for upgrade from BES 4.0 to BES 4.1
    Kind regards.

Mathos no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi All
    Did nobody have problem with the upgrade of the database MSDE to MS-SQL in the upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 ?
    I have a Entreprise version of MS-SQL with several instances and I read that it was a problem.