Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by Spoook The install of BES Express on an Exchange server (or SBS) ... Server Admins forum

user7801 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: I really need some advice from an IT about if my IT is telling me the truth....

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Spoook View Post
    The install of BES Express on an Exchange server (or SBS) is a little different to RIM's documentation. I have written a checklist and procedure for installing BES Express on a Windows SBS2003 server and would be happy to send it to your techie if he wants.
    Hi, appreciate it if you could send a copy of your checklist/procedure to me

not.ambiguous gmail.com

Thanks

Spoook no está en línea BES Pro

Re: I really need some advice from an IT about if my IT is telling me the truth....

with pleasure. Let me know if you need any help. I'm assuming i just replace the space with @. Funky email address!

lventling no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by AudreaTrawick View Post
    Hi, i'm an owner of a small business (7 employees) and have had a BB for almost a year now. I tried going to a Windows Mobile phone over the holiday's but hated it. But, i am in need of having wireless sync for email, calendar and tasks.... So, i'm back to my IT about getting Blackberry Professional or the Hosted Service. But, here is what i need help with. We have Microsoft Exchange but he says he doesn't want to load either of those on the Exchange server because although it will work, the files will all integrate and it will be a PITA for him in addition to the files never going away or something like that........ So, before i go buy another server, is he correct? Are there problems with loading these two on an exchange server? We have the space on it so why should i not do this? And what other costs are involved? He mentioned something about having to buy another license from Microsoft just to run the BB Professional or Hosted Service. What is he talking about? And do you think he just doesnt want to deal with this????? He is a big windows mobile guy and can't understand why i want to keep my BB. DUH!!!!!!! It is so much easier to work IMO!!!! Any help is appreciated!!!!
    At my prior job we ran our Exchange BES off of a dedicated desktop pc. It did the job fine. I would personally not load both on 1 server though as the other replies have stated. All you really need with your 7 users is a pc capable of running windows server 2003, and you should be fine. We had 18 on ours.

pinkert11 no está en línea Stack level 1

Just a ? Have you looked at purchasing an Off-Lease server? You could pick up an off lease server that has 2 or 3 years of use. A server of this age would easily handle a BES for 7 users, and would also give you some network storage space. BB server is not mission critical and an older server would do the job. Just a thought, I know a few companies that have gone this way, with no regrets. Keeps costs low, and keeps the BES off of the Exchange.

kamorm no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21CDB265

Correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't you also do this running an e-mail server on Fedora 8 or 9, I beliveve even 7 has that access. As long as you had GPS capability on the phone and a bluetooth usb adapter? Just complie it with your e-mail server? Maybe I will research this more for the weekend, will give me something to do.

gkarasik no está en línea Stack level 2

Exchange Admin tools

Quote Originally Posted by AudreaTrawick View Post
    thanks so much everyone for your input!!!!!!!!! I will go to work to get this resolved now.
    It's my understanding--please someone correct me if I'm wrong--that to run BES or BEP on a separate server you have to load the Exchange admin tools on that server. That's not a problem as long as you still have or can get the original Exchange disks. That said, lots of people have loaded BES and BEP on SBS2003 (IOW on the same box as Exchange) without problems. While it is true that you might have to shut down Exchange if there are problems with the BES, in my case, that's never actually happened.

It's REALLY important however to follow all the install instructions carefully, particularly regarding permissions.

GaryK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12