Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, i'm an owner of a small business (7 employees) and have had a BB ... Server Admins forum

AudreaTrawick no está en línea Stack level 1

I really need some advice from an IT about if my IT is telling me the truth....

Advertisement

Hi, i'm an owner of a small business (7 employees) and have had a BB for almost a year now. I tried going to a Windows Mobile phone over the holiday's but hated it. But, i am in need of having wireless sync for email, calendar and tasks.... So, i'm back to my IT about getting Blackberry Professional or the Hosted Service. But, here is what i need help with. We have Microsoft Exchange but he says he doesn't want to load either of those on the Exchange server because although it will work, the files will all integrate and it will be a PITA for him in addition to the files never going away or something like that........ So, before i go buy another server, is he correct? Are there problems with loading these two on an exchange server? We have the space on it so why should i not do this? And what other costs are involved? He mentioned something about having to buy another license from Microsoft just to run the BB Professional or Hosted Service. What is he talking about? And do you think he just doesnt want to deal with this????? He is a big windows mobile guy and can't understand why i want to keep my BB. DUH!!!!!!! It is so much easier to work IMO!!!! Any help is appreciated!!!!

nvisi0n no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30B4DB5C

Re: I really need some advice from an IT about if my IT is telling me the truth....

I know this may not directly answer your question but I used WM for some time on a hosted exchange and it worked fine. Upon returning to BB I simply migrated my domain to Google apps and let Gmail host my email for me and the best part.... it's free!

SSmokinjoe no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: I really need some advice from an IT about if my IT is telling me the truth....

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

No extra license is required from MS to run the BB server on your exchange server. Depending on how many BB's you are deploying will determine the version of the BB server software you should get. I performed the install myself and it really wasn't that bad. It's one of those things that I have not had to spend to much time maintaining either. I hope this helps a bit. I would say more about the experience but, alas I am getting ready for a meeting. Best of luck and remember you sign the checks.

Joe

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by AudreaTrawick View Post
    Hi, i'm an owner of a small business (7 employees) .... So, i'm back to my IT about getting Blackberry Professional or the Hosted Service. But, here is what i need help with. We have Microsoft Exchange but he says he doesn't want to load either of those on the Exchange server because although it will work, the files will all integrate and it will be a PITA for him in addition to the files never going away or something like that...... And what other costs are involved? He mentioned something about having to buy another license from Microsoft just to run the BB Professional or Hosted Service. What is he talking about? And do you think he just doesnt want to deal with this????? He is a big windows mobile guy and can't understand why i want to keep my BB. DUH!!!!!!! It is so much easier to work IMO!!!! Any help is appreciated!!!!
    First I'm not a BES/Professional expert at all ... so hopefully one of them will see this and help
    But for only 7 employees I don't see a problem loading BB Professional onto the Exchange server. As for extra costs yes but he is not correct about paying it to Microsoft. You would need to buy a license from RIM for the number of BB's you want to access it, $500 = 5 users, and $850 = 10 users. If it is just you, I would get the BES Express (it's free but only 1 device license).

I would start here until the BES folks see this thread: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/service...ab_tab_pricing
    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/service...ab_tab_compare
    http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...owse&sort=name
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Thanks NVision. I too have GMail but only for personal emails. I am a Registered Investment Advisor and i own an RIA Firm and because SEC requires me to keep every single email sent and recieved and have the ability to search all email over the past 7-10 years within hours of them walking in to audit me, I HAVE to use Exchange for our work email. But i do love Gmail for my personal emails.....

And thank you to the other responses. That has helped me alot and it will only be me using the service for now so it will be free. But, my IT guy has been with us for 16 years and is a bit on the pessamistic side and doesn't want to mess with things sometimes but if i have some proof that others have had some success with it and don't get any negatives on installing it on the Exchange Server, you can bet i'll not be putting money into something that isn't necessary. Thanks to you 3 and i'll take your advice and see if any BES administrators answer my question before i make my decision.......

SSmokinjoe no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

He is more than welcome to contact me off list if would like go over it. I can see why he wouldn't want to mess with an exchange server but it really isn't that bad.

Joe.lio@sfefcu.org

I will help with whatever I can.

Regards

kclever no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm the IT Manager of a fairly large shop, but we currently only have about 11 Blackberry users. I'm not sure about the Hosted service, but our department wouldn't run BES on the same server as our Mail Server due to stability issues, etc. You will have to buy Licenses from RIM for your Blackberries, and a Windows 2003 Server License for the BES. If you are looking at under 15 users, it wouldn't take much of a server to run that few BBs. We currently are running ours as a Virtual Machine on a server running VMware's free server product, it's working great. I hope that helps, if you have any additional questions that I can answer just PM me.

southwestcomm no está en línea Stack level 1

The Blackberry Professional software is specifically designed to be installed on top of the Exchange software. No additional servers are required. It also is a self-installing application and will inform your IT admin if any changes need made.
    For as few users you have the software and licenses will be less than $1000.00.

doctair no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by kclever View Post
    I'm not sure about the Hosted service, but our department wouldn't run BES on the same server as our Mail Server due to stability issues, etc. You will have to buy Licenses from RIM for your Blackberries, and a Windows 2003 Server License for the BES. If you are looking at under 15 users, it wouldn't take much of a server to run that few BBs. We currently are running ours as a Virtual Machine on a server running VMware's free server product, it's working great.
    I am also using this method and it works great. If you are using Exchange you want to avoid installing the BES on the same box, if you ever have restart the BES or have problems then your entire mail services will be down. Your IT guy is right in one respect, leave Exchange alone, its one of the apps that you don't want to sneeze on.

If you have another server that has very little CPU usage, then I would also recommend downloading VMWARE's free Server. Works great and if you every need more power you can just drag the file off to another server with VMWARE and push start.

I'm a convert my self from WM5 and I now love the BB real-time.

Hope this helps....

ssullivan8130 no está en línea Stack level 2

Lightbulb Re: I really need some advice from an IT about if my IT is telling me the truth....

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    First I'm not a BES/Professional expert at all ... so hopefully one of them will see this and help
    But for only 7 employees I don't see a problem loading BB Professional onto the Exchange server. As for extra costs yes but he is not correct about paying it to Microsoft. You would need to buy a license from RIM for the number of BB's you want to access it, $500 = 5 users, and $850 = 10 users. If it is just you, I would get the BES Express (it's free but only 1 device license).

I would start here until the BES folks see this thread: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/service...ab_tab_pricing
    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/service...ab_tab_compare
    http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...owse&sort=name

BES Express is the way you should go for now to keep costs down. If you have a BB you can down load it free and comes with one license for you. Plus you can add up to 14 more licenses/devices as needed.

Download from here: https://www.blackberry.com/express/

Your IT guy, and I am one, sounds like he no wana do any workie....

BES is a a very easy install, RIM has STEP BY STEP Guides on how to do it and all the prerequisits.

And you have PINSTACK.COM you really don't need anything else.!

UPDATE: I set up our BES, and never have had a BB or BES before.
    Last edited by ssullivan8130; 01-04-2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Spoook no está en línea BES Pro

Hi. I would have to agree with ssulivan8130. As an IT service provider for SMEs, I've installed about a dozen BES Express servers. I also think BES Express is the best option for you.

It's true that ideally it is better to run BES on a different server. Mostly because, as doctair put it, you can avoid bringing your mail server down if you need to work on the BES server. In fact RIM recommend this option. However, IT budgets are always a consideration for SMEs and nobody wants to have two servers and the associated costs for seven employees. In that case it is no problem to install BES Express on your Exchange server. As I said, RIM don't recommend that option, but I have done it for over half of my installs (which are very similar to you - 5 - 10 employees and a single SBS server) and it works fine. And lets face it, with a small business of 7 or so, it's not usually a huge issue if you have to bring the users and email offline for 10 mins or so. At least it's not worth forking over thousands for a new server...

The install of BES Express on an Exchange server (or SBS) is a little different to RIM's documentation. I have written a checklist and procedure for installing BES Express on a Windows SBS2003 server and would be happy to send it to your techie if he wants. I must say my first BES installs were a steep learning curve, and the first one often does not go smoothly. Despite what others say (sorry - have to disagree with you here ssulivan), installing a BES server is not as easy as chucking on another piece of software. You have to pay very close attention to permissions etc. and it can be a bugger to troubleshoot if things aren't quite working fine. After a couple, it becomes quite easy, because you know what mistakes not to make. But it is definitely worth it once you have it working and is very stable.

You IT guy is kind of right when he says you need another license. You need to create a new user on your server (usually called BESAdmin) in order for the BES server to interact with Exchange and the AD. So you need a spare CAL (client license) on your server, but you should probably have a couple of spare CALs anyway in case you get extra staff etc.

It may be worth getting someone who has done a couple of BES installs to do the install with your techie. They can also show your guy how to administer the BES server. Although it is very easy to administer - very user friendly - there are some things he might learn from a slightly more experienced BES admin, even if it's only the confidence to see that BES is actually quite user friendly and simple to administer. I know i was quite reluctant at first when one of our clients said they were sick of Windows Mobile and wanted to go BES. I really didn't want to move out of my comfort zone (bad way to be for an IT techie) but it didn't take long after my 1st BES install to start convincing other clients that this was the way to go...

Anyway, thats my 2c ;-)

Crewdawg257 no está en línea BES Pro

There is also a single user Blackberry Professional available from RIM for free. It is along the same lines as BES Express. I would feel safe running it on the Exchange or SBS, but I have done it before and can understand his apprehension. Maybe have him log in here and we can answer his questions. Spoook should be able to help out with his checklist.
    Last edited by Crewdawg257; 01-05-2008 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Clarity
    --
    I suspect that Microsoft Access is nothing but Microsoft Excel with a VBScript wrapper.
    - Unknown

kahuna57 no está en línea Stack level 1

This will work perfectly on the same server. Configured it this way for a client of mine.
    At the moment the server had a uptime for 9 months (implemented it about 9 months ago)
    And nobody mentioned any problem and i go for a coffee every week. Plus thay are all gadget freak so they really put it to the test.

I even had this config.

w2k3 server with exchange 2k3 SP2 completeley configured for 15 users using microsoft direct push.
    on the same server i ran BES Express for 5 other users who wanted to use a BB.

All of this on a quad core xeon system on 2.4 Ghz with 4 gigs of RAM and 1`TB of disk space. CPU usage is almost nothing.

audit no está en línea BES Guru
    PIN/ID
    ASK

As someone that's been working with BES servers for longer then I care to remember and have been an Exchange Admin as well, It would be in your best interest to get the BES Express and load it on a seperate server. At 1 client, I have it installed on a PII 500 256MB RAM running 2003 server with 15 users on it. No problems what so ever. RIM Does NOT recommend that BES is installed on the same server as Exchange unless your using BES Professional.

WM is part of SP2 for Exchange and doesn't require any licenses what so ever so that's why a lot of companies use it.
    audit
    -
    Want to be the one of first people to know about RIM outages? Visit http://www.dataoutages.com

thanks so much everyone for your input!!!!!!!!! I will go to work to get this resolved now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast