I'm new to blackberry devices, the bold finally persuades me to try out a blackberry ... Server Admins forum

jusMikeP no está en línea Stack level 3

How does BES work?

Advertisement

I'm new to blackberry devices, the bold finally persuades me to try out a blackberry device. I was disappointed to find out that I can't access my email imap folders from my device, a feature that I've always taken for granted I suppose on all my other devices. So I thought that before giving up and going back to my iPhone I'd maybe look into a hosted BES account. Since I have to pay for MobileMe it seems reasonable to have to pay for BES to get similair functionality. But I just don't understand how BES works. I've read verious articles about it, but I just don't get it. I don't have a company email server. My company website is hosted with 1and1. So my email address is mike@mycompany.com. I'd like to simply be able to access all of email folders on my blackberry. The OTA syncing of contacts and calendars would be nice but not a must have for me, syncing via bluetooth when I come in and out of the office is fine with me. So how would contacts, calendars, etc be synced if I signed up for a hosted BES account? Is it the same as exchange but simply an interface to the Blackberry? I'm not sure I even know what to ask, I just don't understand what the difference is between BES and exchange and how I could access my emails, etc with hosted BES. Can anyone clarify this for me? The bold seems awesome, I really like it and hate to take it back simply because I don't understand how to use all of the awesome features. Thanks.

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    In order to be on a BES your company needs to have a BES server setup to redirect a copy of your mail, Calendar and contacts....

what you can do is load Desktop manager on your PC and use it to redirect your emails to your BB..keep in mind that your Outlook and Redirector have to be running in at all times in order for this to work.

or

have your IT Email admin forward a copy of your email to your BB from within your Exchange server.

Go to Google and search the following....it will give u all the info u need

search for = blackberry imap exchange
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

so having desktop manager redirect my emails to my BB will allow my blackberry to see my imap folders? Maybe I'm not being clear on what I'm trying to do here. My email works just fine on my blackberry, but I'd like to be able to to access other folders besides my inbox, like sent emails, drafts, myfolder1, myfolder2. Can I accomplish this with a hosted BES solution?

i am not sure about that.....try this...Open your emails and then hit the MENU key and select view folder.....it should give u a list of folders that are viewable

Question....are this folders PST folders or subfolders that you have created under your INBOX ?

i should add that if these are PST folders then not even a BES will see then unless you tell it to and issue a path to the PST.

I did google those terms and I think I might have a better understanding now. From what I read, it looks like BES would mirror my exchange account so I could indeed have access to all of email folders, and my emails, contacts, calendars, etc., would be wirelessly synced. So I would need to pay for hosted exchange and hosted BES or would a hosted BES include all the functionality I need?

...I'm not sure that they are inside the inbox. But they are in the same folder as the inbox. When I log into my email via the web interface it looks like this...

-myemail
    -inbox
    -drafts
    -sent
    -business
    -personal
    -trash
    -junk

when I click view folder, only inbox is listed.

can someone at least confirm for me that to access the other folders of an imap email account you have to be using BES? This can't be done with BIS? Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through for basic email functionality, hopefully I just don't know what I'm doing.

hey, thanks for trying guys but don't wast anymore of your time. I'm sorry, I really wanted to like my blackberry but nothing really works. No youtube, no imap email folder browsing, the internet browser won't even load half of the pages I try to access. Wow, lol, now the google search bar that appeared under the url bar in the browser is gone and I can't figure out how to make it come back. I don't mean this as an insult, but I can't see why anyone would want to use a blackberry when the iPhone is out. This thing is going back, to some other sucker.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    Sorry to ear it, there are solutions out there. Even a free version of BES. I am sorry to hear that a Blackberry is not for you.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    ~via 8120 (wap.pinstack.com)~

To fix the browser issue, just refresh or exit and restart the browser.

The emails on your BlackBerry are associated with each account and are in the folders for each account. I typically hide the extra folders and just use the main Messages folder.

I think people have gotten YouTube to work with OS upgrades.
    Hopefully this will help before you give up.