I just recently setup BES 4.1.2 for exchange on a 2003 server. I currently have ... Server Admins forum

cjarrett no está en línea Stack level 1

How Does a BES Work?

Advertisement

I just recently setup BES 4.1.2 for exchange on a 2003 server. I currently have 3 blackberrys on the system and are working great. I have an IT policy setup and all the other settings are setup and understood. What I don't understand is how it actually all works. Basically how does email flow through the network. The reason I'd like to know, besides curiousity, is because our company is being bought out. They are doing the corporate thing and their IT department is completly redoing the network and proxying everything and have several firewalls. What I also need to find out is if we need to open up anything on the firewalls. Thanks for any input.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro
    Check out the links above your post.
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

cjarrett no está en línea Stack level 1
    Actually, I did. I don't understand how BES connects with exchange, and RIM servers and how data is transfered.

yuryk no está en línea Stack level 1

Lightbulb

The best and the most comprehensive document I found on the subject actually comes from RIM. If you search RIM support site for Placement_of_the_BlackBerry_Enterprise_Solution_in _a_Segmented_Network.pdf it should give you all the information you need (including port numbers, protocols and direction of any connection made by the system). Just in case, I attached it.... Hope this helps.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    cjarrett, welcome to PinStack.

Another good place to learn about BES is on the Blackberry Website. Check out the BlackBerry Enterprise Server page there.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

garycutri no está en línea Stack level 3
    Blackberry Workflow: Send a message from a BlackBerry device

This workflow applies to new messages, reconciled messages (messages that are moved, deleted, or marked read or unread), and wireless calendar entries.

1. The user sends a message.

- The user sends a message from the BlackBerry device. The BlackBerry device assigns the message a RefId. If the message is a meeting invitation or calendar item, the BlackBerry device appends the calendar information to the message.

2. The BlackBerry device processes the message.

- The BlackBerry device compresses and encrypts the entire message.

3. The BlackBerry device sends the message to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

- The BlackBerry device sends the message over port 3101 to the wireless network, which sends the message to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
    The BlackBerry Enterprise Server accepts only encrypted messages from the BlackBerry device. If the message is not encrypted, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server rejects it.

4. The BlackBerry Dispatcher decrypts and decompresses the message.

- The BlackBerry Dispatcher uses the user encryption key to decrypt and decompress the message. If the BlackBerry Dispatcher cannot decrypt the message using the unique encryption key, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server ignores the message and sends an error to the BlackBerry device.

5. The BlackBerry Messaging Agent delivers the message to the user’s mailbox.

- The BlackBerry Messaging Agent places the message in the user’s mailbox.

6. The BlackBerry Messaging Agent copies the message to the Sent Items folder.

- The BlackBerry Messaging Agent places a copy of the message in the Sent Items view in the desktop email program. This step does not occur if the user has enabled the Don't save a copy to the Sent Items folder option and that setting is permitted on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

7. The messaging server routes the message to the recipients.

- The messaging server routes the message to the recipients. As a result, messages that users send from their BlackBerry devices are generally the same as messages that they send from their computer; messages originate from the user’s corporate email address, and, if necessary, the BlackBerry Messaging Agent places a copy in the Sent Items folder.