Our BES security policy is set to Disable Untrusted Certificate Use. This is causing grief ... Server Admins forum

xinger no está en línea Stack level 1

How do I trust an SSL certificate?

Advertisement

Our BES security policy is set to Disable Untrusted Certificate Use. This is causing grief to several of our people who are using h t t p s : / / www . campsystems . com because the site is not using a certificate from a certification authority (like Verisign). My first priority is to get the company to validate that they own and operate this site's web server. Once they have done that, I'd like to configure BES (or the Blackberry devices) to trust the www . campsystems . com certificate. How do I do that? (Sorry for the broken URL's.)

Thanks in advance,
    Bruce
    Last edited by xinger; 02-25-2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: removed FONT tags

dtx
    dtx no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    207B3A96

Re: How do I trust an SSL certificate?

AFAIK you can't install\trust an untrusted cert.
    I had to switch to Windows Mobile at one point for that very reason.
    --
    DTx
    PIN: 207B3A96
    Bold 9000
    Rogers BIS
    OS 4.6.0.150

viguera no está en línea Stack level 2

I thought you could do this from options -> security -> wtls and switch the device to prompt for server trust. Then it should ask you when you go visit, along with a stern warning about why you shouldn't...

dtx
    dtx no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    207B3A96

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~you may be right. My problem was that my exchange server used a self signed certificate, so the BIS server wasn't trusting it. Since its a websites cert that you're trying to accept, look thru the security options, there's Vigueras suggestion, and there's also a Certificate option in there.

xinger no está en línea Stack level 1

Although this particular web site is only used by a few people, I am trying to avoid viguera's solution because it will affect 100+ devices and I honestly don't want (or don't trust) everyone to make educated certificate decisions. I know I could make a separate policy for the few, but to this point, we been able to constrain ourselves to just one security policy. I'm IT security admin, not a BES admin, but I'll get together with our BES admins and look at the certificate options. I was also advice in a different forum (not pinstack) that BES could be taking it's actions from the underlying Windows OS, and that maybe I could install the site's certificate on the BES computer. Does this make any sense?