I have an Exchange 2003 server at my office and want to get us on ... Server Admins forum

TrueDis no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Hosted BES with my own Exchange Server?

Advertisement

I have an Exchange 2003 server at my office and want to get us on Blackberry (from ActiveStink) but don't want the hassle of managing BES. We are a small biz (30 people) and I'm the only IT here (I'm a developer, not a server guy) and we'll probably have 10 users max on Blackberry in the foreseeable future. I feel like Hosted BES is an option I should explore (been looking into BPS so far). Is it possible to do hosted BES in conjunction with our in-house Exchange server? I found that ExchangeMyMail used to have something called SoloSync that it seems would do this but they discontinued it:

"To take advantage of this service, you must host your email with us and use our Exchange Server in conjunction with our BES server. If your company has its own Exchange server and you want full wireless synchronization with your BlackBerry, you can take advantage of our SoloSync program"

We are sorry to say Solo Sync is no longer being offered at this time.

The SoloSync product is in the next phase of it's evolution, and as such we have decided to pause sale of this service."
    I'm looking for something now, so SoloSync would be great if it hadn't been suspended. Does anyone know of any other options? Any tips/experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Stefan Wrobel

knottyrope no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask
    If you can manage the Exchange server then a BES server is not that complicated.

For about 1000 + server you can have a BES (this is best if you will have more than 15 users someday for performance issues)
    or
    For about 1000 or less install BPS on your exchange server if you know there will be less than 15 users, performance will not be bad.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi says "Use the search Luke", and Yoda says "RTFM, you should"
    Torch 9800 on BES 4.1.7 MR3, SQL 2005, Exch 03 with 250 hopeless users

http://twitter.com/#!/knottyrope

Thanks for the feedback. I should've mentioned before that I'm concerned about continuity as well. We have a backup Exchange server that's hosted in another state and I want to avoid having to buy two BES servers. I realize I could probably do BPS on both, but I'm not sure how effortlessly they would fail over, as I understand the PIN relationship is pretty tight between 1 BB and 1 BES. Hence my desire to do a hosted solution so I don't have to worry about that if our connection at our main office goes down.

knottyrope no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask
    So you set up remote site with BES and turn off BES services
    Copy the BES data base to the remote site every night.
    At remote site you would have to do a database restore and turn on services and ejoy the fail over server.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi says "Use the search Luke", and Yoda says "RTFM, you should"
    Torch 9800 on BES 4.1.7 MR3, SQL 2005, Exch 03 with 250 hopeless users

http://twitter.com/#!/knottyrope

That's an interesting idea ... I'm no expert, but others I'd spoken to before posting here seemed to think that unless it's a virtual machine image you're shipping off the keys won't match and the BBs will need to be re-authed when the server switch happens.

Anyone else have experiences trying to do what I'm doing?

Bumping because I'm interested in an expert's opinion on whether it's possible to bring up a failover BES server and have the client devices connect to it without doing any configuration on the devices themselves.

Btw I'm aware of the Neverfail option, but that's rather expensive.