I have some questions about hosted BES such as exchangemymail. 1 - I read something ... Server Admins forum

artemis104 no está en línea Stack level 1

Hosted BES

Advertisement

I have some questions about hosted BES such as exchangemymail.

1 - I read something along the lines of if you use a hosted BES other third party apps go through the hosted BES too. Im confused about this. Does this mean that the BES will not just handle contacts/email/etc but also third party apps like messenger programs? What does this mean for security - conversations, etc. If you just use your carrier's data plan and BIS (I know you still use a data plan with BES obviously) the third party apps are just going through your carrier right? Do third party apps go through your BES? What if you have BES and BIS set up, then what?

2 - Can anyone recommend a hosted BES service?

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Hosted BES

I recommend themessagecenter.com - great service and pricing.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

1. Depends on the app. Some allow you to choose the connection, some just use the default. If you have security concerns about your BES hosting provider then you should really choose another provider. Also, there's no more reason to be concerned about your data flowing through a BES host than having your data flow across your carrier's network from a practical standpoint.

2. MailStreet has always been good to me. I've been with them for several years now.

sele no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~here's another vote for themessagecenter. I tried emm but for me themessagecenter was easier to setup and there was no setup fee.

Rammer no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

pbbjr no está en línea Stack level 2

Is Hosted BES a big improvement over Tmobile BIS?

Current setup is BIS and Outlook XP using Pop to receive mail from about 4 different mailboxes. Messages are left on Gmail servers. Using Blackberry Curve on Tmobile. I like my current setup, but am tired of having to deal with the same message in 3 different places (in Outlook XP, in Gmail and on my Curve). However, I like the ability to archive my email by moving it to different client folders within Outlook XP. I also like the ability to search messages using the Blackberry Gmail application.

I'm a solo attorney who is pretty tech savvy. I'm trying to get a handle on what BES could add to the equation. I know it would allow me to avoid handling the same message so many times. For calendaring and address book issues, I don't really see the benefit if I am the person entering all the information anyway, and I am the only person with access to the information.

The $30 additional this will cost me each month is not an issue. Does anyone who is basically a solo businessperson care to comment?

jagooch no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Re: Hosted BES

Quote Originally Posted by Rammer
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Nice response.

jagooch no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Re: Hosted BES

What does the message center provide? If gmail is my main mailbox, can I figure the Exchange service to send/receive email through my gmail account, while providing folders/contacts/calendar services that I can access though Outlook, BBerry, and OWA? That would be the ultimate for me, as I am trying to get rid of my own domain, that I have host my own email services at home for many years, and just let someone else do it all so that I don't have to worry about it.

Thx,

JohnG

delise no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    312F6678
    Quote Originally Posted by pbbjr

Current setup is BIS and Outlook XP using Pop to receive mail from about 4 different mailboxes. Messages are left on Gmail servers. Using Blackberry Curve on Tmobile. I like my current setup, but am tired of having to deal with the same message in 3 different places (in Outlook XP, in Gmail and on my Curve). However, I like the ability to archive my email by moving it to different client folders within Outlook XP. I also like the ability to search messages using the Blackberry Gmail application.

I'm a solo attorney who is pretty tech savvy. I'm trying to get a handle on what BES could add to the equation. I know it would allow me to avoid handling the same message so many times. For calendaring and address book issues, I don't really see the benefit if I am the person entering all the information anyway, and I am the only person with access to the information.

The $30 additional this will cost me each month is not an issue. Does anyone who is basically a solo businessperson care to comment?

Basically it saves time by not having to manually sync all of the time, and provides faster email than POP3

bwagneradair no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    206667A5

Quote Originally Posted by pbbjr

Hi There,

I am a private practice psychotherapist and have moved from BIS to a hosted BES recently. For me the advantages centre mainly around speed, sync and tech support.

1. Speed - the email really is instant which in my line of work is fantastic as I can need to have an 'email converstaion' with someone between clients
    2. Sync - my calender, contacts and emails are the same on my BB, Outlook and OWA meaning that no matter what computer I use everything is up to date and correct.
    3. Tech support - the company I am with (www.icemail.com) have fantastic customer service and anytime I have had a tech question they have answered it immediatly via phone or email.

Also, it means I can use my own website as an email address e.g. Bryan@mycompany.com which looks professional - and as I have just hired an assistant I can add and administer their account too!

It also provides security in that if my device is stolen or lost I can wipe it from the BES side.

Hope that helps,
    Bryan
    -------------------------
    Bryan :-)