I need some advice on resolving a problem and hope I can describe this correctly. ... Server Admins forum

rsorenson no está en línea Stack level 1

Help with Office Notifications (voice mail notifications)

Advertisement

I need some advice on resolving a problem and hope I can describe this correctly. My office voice mail (which is a Mickey Mouse system, in my opinion) is linked to my WORKSTATION as follows: When I receive a voice mail, I receive an e-mail notification (on the Outlook client ) of the voice mail. It is not a VOIP system--I cannot forward the voice mail directly (I can save as .wav and forward that file), and I cannot play it directly on the computer.

Significantly, the e-mail notification does not appear on my Blackberry. Previously, was using BIS and received the notices, but after upgrading the BES no longer receive them (they also appeared when using desktop redirector on the workstation).

Some additional information. If I check my e-mail through OWA, they do appear in the inbox. The voice mail does not appear if Outlook is not running on the desktop or the desktop voice mail program is not running. It appear to me that the notification bypasses the exchange server and therefore is not redirected to the Blackberry. I suspect the notification subsequently goes to exchange server, but exchange server does not recognize it as a new e-mail and hence does not redirect it. I understand for "licensing reasons" the voice mail integrates with the e-mail client, but not the server.

We are a small company running BES on Enterprise Express. We have Exchange Server 2000 and use Outlook 2003 on the workstations. Is there a way to make these notifications show up? The notification contains the name, number, etc. of the caller, so there is some use to me in knowing.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Rick

simonminshall no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2068A03C

Re: Help with Office Notifications (voice mail notifications)

Rick,

Just a low level thought to this.
    could you set a rule up in your outlook to forward the message back to yourself i.e (from voice@voicemail.com) forward to (rick@company.com). This would then past through the mail server and back into outlook, potentially hitting the device. (obviously you would have a duplicate in outlook, but not on the device. Just a thought for now.

Simon
    Simon Minshall
    Mobile Data Consultant
    www.mobileguy.co.uk
    0844 8845474

rsorenson no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Help with Office Notifications (voice mail notifications)

Simon,

Thanks for the thoughts. I tried setting up a forwarding rule, but it didn't work. The notification seemed to bypass the rule initially. In other words, the rule would not forward the notification automatically, but if I ran the rule manually, it worked.

I had our outside IT guy look at it and he agreed with my assessment that the voice mail system was not particularly good. Oh well.

I might look into trying to set up BIS with a filter to retreive only the voice mails.

Rick