Hello everyone, I am hoping that someone can help me resolve issues that we have ... Server Admins forum

besnewb no está en línea Stack level 1

help needed: BES service not starting after exchange server crash

Advertisement

Hello everyone,
    I am hoping that someone can help me resolve issues that we have with our windows 2003 exchange server, loaded with BES 4.1 (I believe). The blackberry services won't run now.
    I recently took over administration of this server and am new to Microsoft Exchange and BES, so I'm trying to learn about these as quickly as possible.

Here's what happened:
    The server froze one morning, and couldn't be accessed at all directly or through remote desktop. The only option was to do a power off on the machine. Upon reboot, there were a number of errors in exchange and none of the blackberry services would start up. Long story short, after replacing a dll (jcb.dll) that a lot of errors were pointing to with a fresh copy from the win 2003 server CD, and doing a repair on the exchange database, we've been able to get exchange services running properly with mailbox stores and public folders available again.

However, the following is still happening:

- event log shows errors in MSExchangeAL with event ID 8231
    Permanent failure reported by policy group provider for 'CN=Recipient Policies,CN=Name,CN=MicrosoftExchange,CN=Services, CN=Configuration,DC=Name,DC=com':'MAD.EXE', error=8000ffff.

Taking provider offline.

just recently, we discovered that one of our domain controllers, which is also our primary DNS, ran out of virtual memory and had already crashed before the exchange server did. The computer was unresponsive so I rebooted it but haven't had time to verify whether its services are running properly yet. I'm wondering if this could have something to do with the exchange server problems.

At the same time, the following BES services are popping up error windows saying that they've encountered an error and can't run: controller, dispatcher and router

Trying to start them manually still fails, so our blackberry users can't view or interact with their exchange calendars on their devices now. This is the main feature we use BES for.

As I don't know much about exchange and BES (yet), would greatly appreciate if anyone can provide insight and/or point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    It looke like that is probably the problem, you need to fix the DC. There is a artile that states you will have problems with BES after you reboot your DC's if you do not reboot your BES server. Since today is patch tuesday, I would apply all patches from today to all systems and reboot them in order.
    DC
    Exchange
    BES

besnewb no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks for the tip. The domain controller machine appears to be ok after a reboot (it had run out of virtual memory so I've cleared disk space). The DNS service is running properly again.

Both the BES software and exchange server are running on the same machine.
    Right now, the blackberry services are still not starting up, but I haven't rebooted the machine. I'll try that first and see if it make any difference now that DC is working.

BLUSLS no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by besnewb View Post
    Thanks for the tip. The domain controller machine appears to be ok after a reboot (it had run out of virtual memory so I've cleared disk space). The DNS service is running properly again.

Both the BES software and exchange server are running on the same machine.
    Right now, the blackberry services are still not starting up, but I haven't rebooted the machine. I'll try that first and see if it make any difference now that DC is working.
    I run my own personal BES at home. Sometimes the services forgets the service password. In short got to the first service for blackberry and retype the password. Click apply and ok. Should say besadmin had permissions to logon as a service and then restart the rest.

BLUSLS no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Of the BES services that is.