First off, I never asked nor claim to be a BES admin. I got a ... Server Admins forum

dwc
    dwc no está en línea Stack level 2

Help n00b BES admin with VZ user...please

Advertisement

First off, I never asked nor claim to be a BES admin. I got a Pearl and the BES Express and set myself (with Exchange) up and have been happy for a long time. I should have kept my mouth shut, but I didn't and now my boss (on Verizon) dumped his Treo and got a 7130. So we got him a BES license and now it is my responsibility...

Because you care, I ask for your help.

With Verizon users, what needs to be done on the client (BB) side to set up mail properly?

I have the 7130 activated with BES. His mail/calendar/etc. synchs properly in real time. He cannot send from handheld - he gets the red X.

- I do not see a "desktop" mail icon in his list. (only see his BIS yahoo one)
    - when i tried to create an email acct for him, it was a BIS acct and broke his synch.
    - should I see one? I guess not, as I do not see an icon for my BES account on the Pearl.
    - Is there a proper way to create a BES email with Verizon?

Notes:
    - he is not a member of any protected exchange mail groups
    - I deleted and resent his "desktop CMIME" service book
    - I pulled his battery to reset
    - Error is "desktop email program unable to submit message"

Where do the email addresses need to match properly. I wonder if I have a disconnect somewhere, as he likes to use ".com" on his email addy and in exchange he is ".net"

Thanks, this is getting frustrating...
    Last edited by dwc; 04-05-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Krad no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Help n00b BES admin with VZ user...please

here are some tidbits...

you don't need to buy anymore licenses.. you can get a free cal from the bes express site for each device you have.

Once the server is setup and running properly, you send you boss an email from the server to his outlook, he then inputs the email and the password.

if he cannot send email from the device it sounds like the cdo.dll on the bes server does not match or is an older version then the one on your exchange server. Did you apply the bes update for dst on the bes server? besides exchange.

You need to copy the cdo.dll and make sure they match on both servers.

ALSO- if you applied the dst patch to your exchange server, it has changed the active directory of your network tightening up security. Is your boss an domain admin? you will have to look up the articles to allow special groups to have access to send mail from the bes account.

dwc

Thanks Krad,

- I blew the first one as we spent the $99 for a new CAL for him already. Thanks though. (Are you sure on that?)

- I need help with this one:
    "Once the server is setup and running properly, you send you boss an email from the server to his outlook, he then inputs the email and the password."

Is the the BES activation email? I sent that already and he is activated. He has calendar synch etc already. Only issue is fail to send.

If this is an email different from the standard BES activation email, then this may be my missing step. (Where do you generate this email? I have BES Manager open)

- BES server is on Exchange box, so same DLL version. FWIW, my Pearl on TMOB works fine and always has. ONly his 7100 on Verizon fails to send.
    Thanks

nah sounds like his phone is setup properly.

You need to take a look at the dst patch from microsoft and you need to lookup special groups secuirty. I know it took me like 3 hours to figure out i had to do an asdiedit on my active directory to allow special groups to send emails (besadmin being a special account).

Quote Originally Posted by dwc
    Thanks Krad,

- I blew the first one as we spent the $99 for a new CAL for him already. Thanks though. (Are you sure on that?)

- I need help with this one:
    "Once the server is setup and running properly, you send you boss an email from the server to his outlook, he then inputs the email and the password."

Is the the BES activation email? I sent that already and he is activated. He has calendar synch etc already. Only issue is fail to send.

If this is an email different from the standard BES activation email, then this may be my missing step. (Where do you generate this email? I have BES Manager open)

- BES server is on Exchange box, so same DLL version. FWIW, my Pearl on TMOB works fine and always has. ONly his 7100 on Verizon fails to send.
    Thanks
    duhhhhh....

does the besadmin account have permission "send as" on your bosses user account? in active directory?

dwc

Krad,
    That's what we are checking now.

Using this post, and the scripts mentioned.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...tml#post182748

Thanks.

dwc

That was the issue. (resolved!) Thanks for the help.

tcv
    tcv no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32b86b00

Thanks for this. Interesting read!