Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi All, Since moving to BES, my BB messenger will not work with people outside ... Server Admins forum

mellis2718 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    218255b2

Help me convince IT to turn off encryption

Advertisement

Hi All,
    Since moving to BES, my BB messenger will not work with people outside my BES. After reading the forums and the help of many knowledgable people, I believe that the problem lies in that my IT department has turned on encryption for PIN's.
    I have told them this, but they are hesitant to turn it off. I don't think they understand what it does, and it sounds "safer" to leave it on. They know nothing about BB's and I would like to ask for your help in learning what this is and what it does or doesn't do.
    Is there a reason they should leave it on? or not?

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

Re: Help me convince IT to turn off encryption

Turn it off. BB Messenger has it's own encryptions- and someone correct me if I'm wrong- the system can't be hacked. Just because someone is "in" your system doesn't mean that your information is "safe"....a rat is a rat wether the information they recieve is encrypted or not.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

krabme no está en línea Stack level 1

That's just silly; you need to ask your IT to open the outside messaging. Does that mean you can only email internally from your computer too? Windows and Outlook are not secure either.

Any encryption can be hacked if someone tries hard enough but BES enables your BB to connect more securely to your email already. Free your berry!

Rawjek no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    257a0eea

The problem with most IT is that they think they are gods! More than likely you will have to approach one and the water cooler and give them this site.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Maybe just point your IT department towards PinStack?

showtime no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187
    Maybe just point your IT department towards PinStack?
    Good ideal.

Rawjek no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    257a0eea

Hey! That's what I said!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

sugarbutt no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241CF1B5

Another point you might could make is communication in a disaster situation? Perhaps you would need to PIN someone outside the company if your company email and such were down? Just a thought because that is one of our "alternate" forms of communication in the event our systems go down.

I do agree with pointing them to PinStack, I have ;-).

PIN/ID
    218255b2

I did point them to pinstack, I don't believe they even looked. They denied my request to fix this. It is my phone, and BB messenger doesn't work. They are ignorant, and only leaving it on because it sounds "safer". errrr

audit no está en línea BES Guru
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Your asking BES Admin's to tell you how to get around security they put in place and a good chance it's something that they are following due to a policy that someone else came up with?
    audit
    -
    Want to be the one of first people to know about RIM outages? Visit http://www.dataoutages.com

PIN/ID
    218255b2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~whatever. It is my phone. Messenger worked before they asked me to move to the bes, and it doesn't now.

audit no está en línea BES Guru
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Simple then, tell them you don't want to be on the BES then. Anyone that puts their personal Blackberry on a company BES should expect to see tighter restrictions.
    audit
    -
    Want to be the one of first people to know about RIM outages? Visit http://www.dataoutages.com

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

They asked you to move to the BES? Tell them to provide the BB then. Just remember, it is the company network and they are held responsible for following company policy when it comes to the network.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

Yes but you are on their BES. You could get off their BES and not worry about their IT policy. You said they asked you to move on the BES. Tell them you want off and you'll be fine.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

erick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23ff9086

Being a former Security Engineer I have seen many a crazy request for ex. opening up all the ports on a firewall. Needless to say this request was denied immediately. My point is simply, many IT departments receive crazy requests like this and it reduces our faith in the user community. As such, if you want them to remove the encryption, you will have to prove to them you are not just another user, the encryption isn't providing any added benefit, and is impacting the business. Telling them that it is impacting your personal life isn't going to make them move. One way to do this is find an article on the internet and point them to it. You will get more mileage if the article is printed from a respected and widely known source and not a blog or unknown publishing company. While you and I recognize the validity of Pinstack it would seem they, BES Admins, do not.

Another important point to remember, don't try to challenge their "IT" skills. In my experience about 50% of the IT staff is really good at what they do and that percentage decreases depending on the company. You may scare them off if you make them look bad or, they may be BES gurus and well, that won't end well.

Just because it is an IT policy doesn't mean it can't be change. What it does mean is, it will be harder to change. In the end you will have to provide information that shows them the encryption is a hindrance and not a benefit. How you provide this information is up to you. Every person is different and some will be receptive to e-mails and others will read an article if left in their mailbox. How they will respond to either I am not sure.

You will have to decide if it is worth the trouble to have the policy changed. I would recommend being removed from BES as it will be faster and easier.
    The first step to curing your (Blackberry) addiction is admitting your addicted. What addiction, I don't have an addiction!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast