Okay, I'm in a small company (only 2 or 3 may actually use BB's at ... Server Admins forum

PSUFAN no está en línea Stack level 1

Question HELP! Getting Started

Advertisement

Okay, I'm in a small company (only 2 or 3 may actually use BB's at some point) and my boss has given me the ok to research and get a BB for my use. Once I get "educated" I may get him one too. So, I am thoroughly confused as to what service do I get. From what I've read...I would like to have the BES features as we would need the wireless synch of the calendar that we use now with our Microsoft Exchange. We have Cingular cell phone service. Can we just pay a per month fee to get BES features? Or, do we have to shell out the thousands to just get started with BES as I see on the BB Web site? HELP!!!!!!

Traknologist no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F916AF

Re: HELP! Getting Started

I know this doesn't answer your question but google has a great service called google apps for which you can share documents and view others calenders in your company. There's also calgoo and gcalsync for google calender. Gcalsync is a program for bb's that sync your phones calender with the calender on google. Here is the link for google apps www.google.com/a

Traknologist no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F916AF

Here are the gcal links http://wap.gcalsync.com and www.gcalsync.com

pcorajr no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

There are Bes Hosting services available as well as a small buisness version of bes that allows you to service 10 devices and hardcaps at 15 devices. after you purchased the 5 cals the bes wont accept anymore cals.

My rep from cingular also told us that there is a promotion that ends soon where if you purchase 10 BB devices you get a free 10 maybe 20 cal bes for free. There a many ways go get the bes software just amke sure you talk to your cingular rep.

Thank you. I guess my question is whether or not you can obtain and use BB service simply by purchasing a BB device from a cell phone provider like Cingular. Our IT "department" is 1 person since we're so small and I can't see us being able to put up the up front infrastruture and money for BES that I see on the BB site. Perhaps I'm just confused on how you get BB service from beginning to end.

I'll check into this Google stuff. Thanks.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ You're referring to the BlackBerry Internet Service which sounds more like what you want. That is much cheaper and will save you a lot of headaches.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ You can purchase a BlackBerry with an Enterprise Server account but your employer has to already have set up the BES on their server. Not sure if that has been done yet.

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Quote Originally Posted by PSUFAN
    Okay, I'm in a small company (only 2 or 3 may actually use BB's at some point) and my boss has given me the ok to research and get a BB for my use. Once I get "educated" I may get him one too. So, I am thoroughly confused as to what service do I get. From what I've read...I would like to have the BES features as we would need the wireless synch of the calendar that we use now with our Microsoft Exchange. We have Cingular cell phone service. Can we just pay a per month fee to get BES features? Or, do we have to shell out the thousands to just get started with BES as I see on the BB Web site? HELP!!!!!!
    How many employees do you see in the near future (1 to 5 years) having blackberry's? You need to answer this question, before you even decide on whether or not to host your own BES, use BIS, or have a hosting service do the work for you. When you can answer that question, I'd be happy to help you further. Until then, you cannot get a great answer to your questions. There are many routes for you to go

I can answer that....at most 3 but more likely one two of us will have a BB in the next 6 months. I will be the first and then my boss will likely be the second. I guess if I go with the BIS...can I get updated calander access remotely/wirelessly? I ask this because this is one of the prime features I'm looking for. We run Microsoft Outlook with Exchange here in the office.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

In response to your question.

All blackberry's sold come with an option to recieve a free 1 user license and copy of BES Express. It is not as loaded as a full version BES but may do the job you need it to do. Go to BB's site and search for BES Express.

Zo.

Cool, that helps. Appreciate that. What do you "lose" with the Express version over the full BES service?