I have a couple questions regarding moving users from one Notes environment to a new ... Server Admins forum

soulrex no está en línea Stack level 1

Help! Anyone with BES/Lotus Notes migrations

Advertisement

I have a couple questions regarding moving users from one Notes environment to a new Notes envirionment.

All users mailboxes will be migrated into a new environment using scripts. I also need to move the BB's from the old Notes BES to the new Notes BES.

My question is this: After the mailboxes are migrated, and they have email connectivity again, will cradling the BB's reprovision the handhelds to the new BES?

All the users names have been added to the BES, and the activation emails will be in the new mailboxes upon opening the Notes client.

Let me know if more info is needed for this. I'm not sure what needed to be said, as this is new to me!

Thanks in advance.
    S

HotWax no está en línea BES Pro

Re: Help! Anyone with BES/Lotus Notes migrations

Is the new Domino server name going to remain the same?

No, the new server name is different. Everything is different, except for the blackberry handhelds.

New servers, new domain, new trees, new building... Same phones...

S

Tim_W no está en línea Stack level 2

Soulrex.
    The provisioning will have to be done manually for each device. Also, the enterprise activation is done over the air. This is why I believe the cradle won't do much for you during this process.
    I don't think cradling the BB's will reprovision the phones. I just went thru this when we migrated from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2007. My question to you is how many BB's will you have to migrate over to the new server?

Regards,
    Tim

Tim> I understand about the individual reprovisioning, that is why I am planning on using the Desktop Manager to do the reprovs. There are only 139 users to switch over.

This is how I was planning to do the cut-over:
    1. Users receive a message from the Notes cutover app telling them it is time to move to the new system. This message cannot be closed until it is executed. It will run scripts behind the scenes migrating the user data to use the new Notes system.
    2. After it is completed it will open Notes again, and they will see they have a message from RIM for enterprise activation in the new environment.
    3. They plug the BB into the desktop, and open desktop manager. (At this point, does desktop manager notice it is not on the old system anymore?)
    4. DM handles activating the handhelds.
    5. Rinse and repeat.

The main question I have is hiding in step 3.

S

Soulrex,
    Since I have been the BES Admin, I rarely use DM (maybe for backing up data for an end user every now and then).

Here is a suggestion, why don't you test this on a few IT Dept employees BEFORE you do the data cutover. This way, if it doesn't work then you only have to worry about the IT Dept employees you are testing. Also, once you figure out what process actually works, you may want to cutover in phases (example: by depts) instead of doing it all at one time.
    I would hate to hear that you didn't do any testing before you decided to push this out to your production environment. I always use the IT Dept as my "testing environment" before I send anything out to the production environment/end user community.

Regards,
    Tim

Unfortunately, I am not the one doing this project. I am merely a BES admin assisting the Notes admin. He is just looking for the least administrative interation possible. I thank you for your input, and pray his transition is as smooth as he hopes it is.

S

This is the exact situation I was facing about one month ago. There is really no way around "not touching" the devices again. If you find one, please let me know. I would like to find out how it is done.

Regards,
    Tim