Does anyone know if/how to get handheld filters to work with BES? We are trying ... Server Admins forum

JeffG no está en línea Stack level 1

Handheld filters

Advertisement

Does anyone know if/how to get handheld filters to work with BES? We are trying to filter SPAM with subject line and message body keyword filters with no sucess. Specifically:

1. Can multiple criteria be used in a single filter? If so, what delimiter is used?

2. Can wildcards be used (to designate multiple word forms)? If so, how?

3. Are the filters case sensitive?

Thanks,
    Jeff

JadedBerry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    203B4165

Re: Handheld filters

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to Pinstack. I'm sure someone will be along to help you out ASAP, I'm just gonna bump this thread up so everyone can see it

Jade
    One out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

I think I may be able to help you here. First of all, it's important to know that the filters are processed in the order specified, so if you've got one that will allow some of the SPAM to pass, the other filters will never get a chance to reject it. With that being said:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG
    Does anyone know if/how to get handheld filters to work with BES? We are trying to filter SPAM with subject line and message body keyword filters with no sucess. Specifically:

1. Can multiple criteria be used in a single filter? If so, what delimiter is used?
    At least for the From: and Sent to: fields, you can specify multiple criteria, and the delimiter is ";". The way it works is that if ANY of the criteria match, then the filtering rule will be considered true. In the other fields, I believe that you can also separate keywords with a ";" as well (though I haven't used that myself).

2. Can wildcards be used (to designate multiple word forms)? If so, how?
    Wildcards can definitely be used in the same fields mentioned above (not sure about the others). As an example, you wanted to get rid of stuff from anyone@somedomain.com you could just use *somedomain.com. I don't know if you have multiple wildcards within a specification, but it seems to be a true wildcard match. So for instance, in the same example, you could also use anyone* or even *somedomain*. In things like the subject field, I think you can just specify to word root, so if you're looking to filter on something like sell, sells, or selling, I think you can just specify sell in that field.

3. Are the filters case sensitive?
    I don't believe so.

On a final note, after I wrote all that up from memory, I went into the desktop manager and clicked on "Help"; there's a topic about creating filters there (though it doesn't give a whole lot of information.)

Hope this helps.
    David

wizkid1981 no está en línea BES Guru

I'd also recommend reviewing the following article from RIM

Security Advisory - Protecting the BlackBerry device and BlackBerry Enterprise Server against malware

Last Updated: 12 September 2006

Article Number: KB-05499

JeffG no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks guys. The big breakthrough was figuring out the ";" delimiter. All filters working well and my spam level is half what it was.

Now if I can just figure out how to thwart the random sentence generators....

Sincerely,
    Jeff