Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question: As a new BB user, I was curious if my Corporate office can see ... Server Admins forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Guide to: Blackberry on BES and your Privacy

Advertisement

Question: As a new BB user, I was curious if my Corporate office can see what Internet sites I am using. I do send and pick up emails on my Co.'s BB server, but I bought my own BB and I view forums like this one, ESPN, and recently my most concern is Monster.com as I am looking for a new job. Can my Co. see what I am doing? - gator12

Answer:

Configuring Blackberry on BES for Privacy

If you go through your Carrier’s Browser (in most cases labeled 'Internet Browser') and not the 'Blackberry Browser', then it will be private.

Go to ‘Options’ / ‘Browser’ and take note of which browser is identified for ‘Default Browser configuration’

Next go to ‘Options’ / ‘Browser Push’ / make sure ‘Enable Push’ is selected / ‘Enable MDS Push’ will most likely be checked, don’t change leave it checked / ‘Enable WAP Push’ should also be checked / important change all instances of ‘Process MDS’ to ‘Prompt’ / now scroll to the very bottom and make sure ‘Allow WAP Push Applications’ is checked.

Note: Changing ‘Process MDS’ to ‘Prompt’ will help alert you when your privacy status is being changed. When you are prompted to use MDS you will be using your company’s internet access if you accept.

Most IM traffic goes through BES, unless you can download the WAP version and configure it to use your Carrier's APN for WAP access (haven’t tested that). If you would like to attempt be sure to go to Next go to ‘Options’ / ‘Browser Push’ / scroll to the very bottom and make sure ‘Allow WAP Push Applications’ is checked.

The BIS/BWC ( yourname@carriername.blackberry.net ) email account email accounts enable through that service cannot be logged on BES. However access can be restricted via the IT Policy. You can go to ‘Options’ / ‘Service Book’ and at the very bottom you will see ‘Web Client’ with a check next to it which confirms you have assess to sending and receiving private and personal email via your Mobile carrier’s Web Client (BIS).

You may also optionally go to ‘Options’ / ‘Message Services’ and change the default to ‘Web Client’. This will not have any effect on BES or Web Client email received. However, when composing a message, your Blackberry will use the default Web Client email as sender. This is useful only if you send far more personal emails from your than corporate emails via your Blackberry. That said if you hit compose to send an email to say a coworker at the very top of the compose page you’ll see ‘Using:’. You must change the ‘Web Client’ selection to ‘Desktop’ every time you are sending to a corporate address and the opposite selection applies if you choose the Message Service to default to ‘Desktop’.

BES IT Policy

It's wise to note that with BES comes with the Security IT Policy feature. This is an OTA policy which can restrict your access from these services totally or selectively and can differ by handheld within the company. Ask a trusted admin about your Company's Blackberry IT Policy. If the policy is being implemented on your handheld you can find it by going to 'Options' / 'Security' and you will see 'IT Policy Name', 'last update etc'.

There are different levels of logging and I've not tested them fully in past contact with BES. Current admins may be able to confirm the level of logging that can be extracted from BES traffic.

Hope this helps. More on this topic to come...

© Copyright Hayden James - Pinstack.com

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Ma Kexiu no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Guide to: Blackberry on BES and your Privacy

This may seem like a silly question, but I wanted to ask someone with experience with the BES server.

I use a BB 8707g with 3G connectivity with my company's BES overseas. The email and other syncronization goes through BES. At the moment, I don't want to carry two phones with me, one personal and one work, I use my BB device for corporate connectiving as well as keeping in touch with friends. I presume that all email goes through the BES server and does not assume much privacy.

Do SMSs, MMSs and call records also get synced with the BES?

Ma Kexiu

RavenII no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23C7853C
    From what I understood when I tried to install my own BES, yes, they get logged to a .txt file. I could definitely be wrong.

wizkid1981 no está en línea BES Guru

SMS, P2P and Call Traffic can only be logged in BES 4.1.x. Older versions of the BES do not have this capability. Review RIM article KB-03700 for further capabilities.

lloid no está en línea Stack level 1

SMS , PIN, phone call logs ar estored in plain text.
    Of course, your BES admin would never read your messages......

trinybwoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F8984

Quote Originally Posted by lloid View Post
    SMS , PIN, phone call logs ar estored in plain text.
    Of course, your BES admin would never read your messages......

are these logged automatically?

exceltoexcel no está en línea Stack level 1

A related question..

If I set up internet e-mail on my blackberry can my company see my personl emails?

Or in other words...

Does my personal email go through the BB server?

HiSoC8Y no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by trinybwoy View Post
    are these logged automatically?
    I would like to know this also

pinkert11 no está en línea Stack level 1

SMS & PIN are not logged automatically, the logs have to be turned on, this is a very quick setting change to turn on. Once logging in on, the log captures phone number, if it is sent/ received and the text is logged.

phone call logs are running out of the box.

BES 4.1.4

SMS log header:
    "Name.ID","Email Address","Type of Message","To","From","Callback Phone Number","Body","Send/Received Date","Server Log Date","Overall Message Status","Command","UID"
    Last edited by pinkert11; 02-13-2008 at 11:05 PM.

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d

By default, the following are enabled to automatically sync with the "Default" IT policy that is in most smaller and even mid-sized businesses use... policy can get kinda confusing as it's a bit of a maze. Availability to do this can also vary based on the BES version your company uses and your device:

These items are ENABLED by default:

Address Book Sync
    Calendar Sync
    Memopad Sync
    Task Sync

These policies are DISABLED by default (But only work with Java-enabled devices running 4.1+ platforms::

PIN Message Wireless Sync
    SMS Messages Wireless Sync
    Phone Call Log Wireless Sync

About 8 clicks turns them on, and they're really easy to parse even just sucking them into excel.

I will say we've always had it turned on, I've never once looked at the files except a glance once to see what it looked like. Our organization is big on protection of intellectual property, only reason it's on.

If enabled at your company there's either a hightened need for security, is run by a control freak, or has a bored and nosy BES admin...

Check out this thread for an even more in depth explanation:

http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryfo...p?t-38636.html

briankaufman no está en línea Stack level 1

can newest BES track/archive blackberry messenger conversation?

PIN/ID
    249df67d

It doesn't "track" them in the traditional sense (generating a csv/log file or in the case of the new GPS location tracking, where data is entered into a table in the db), but there is the option to send an e-mail audit report to a designated address. I do not have this policy enabled, nor have I had time to play with it, so I can't speak to the contents of the reports. If nobody else chimes in by the time I get to it I will look it up in the admin guide and get you a better answer.

PIN/ID
    249df67d

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by briankaufman View Post
    can newest BES track/archive blackberry messenger conversation?
    Hi Brian,

Sorry for the delay... I had to do some digging... The BES policy manual I keep handy didn't go into enough detail, so I had to dig up a whitepaper on it.

The answer is this regarding the BlackBerry Messenger audit policy:

"When auditing is enabled, all BlackBerry Messenger messages sent to or received from the device are stored in a database on the device. A report of the database is periodically sent to the Messenger audit address"

The report includes:

Messages, Display name updates, Content (files and images), and time-stamps.

Gar-williams no está en línea Stack level 3
    This is good to know..... is there any way of checking from the handheld whether logs are running for PIN and SMS?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PwDiamond View Post
    By default, the following are enabled to automatically sync with the "Default" IT policy that is in most smaller and even mid-sized businesses use... policy can get kinda confusing as it's a bit of a maze. Availability to do this can also vary based on the BES version your company uses and your device:

These items are ENABLED by default:

Address Book Sync
    Calendar Sync
    Memopad Sync
    Task Sync

These policies are DISABLED by default (But only work with Java-enabled devices running 4.1+ platforms::

PIN Message Wireless Sync
    SMS Messages Wireless Sync
    Phone Call Log Wireless Sync

About 8 clicks turns them on, and they're really easy to parse even just sucking them into excel.

I will say we've always had it turned on, I've never once looked at the files except a glance once to see what it looked like. Our organization is big on protection of intellectual property, only reason it's on.

If enabled at your company there's either a hightened need for security, is run by a control freak, or has a bored and nosy BES admin...

Check out this thread for an even more in depth explanation:

http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryfo...p?t-38636.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast