What is BES? BlackBerry Enterprise Server is a wireless email solution designed for businesses with ... Server Admins forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Guide to: Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES)

Advertisement

What is BES?
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server is a wireless email solution designed for businesses with Microsoft® Exchange or Lotus® Domino™ server environments. It includes both desktop software and Enterprise Server software that work together to seamlessly manage the link between the handheld devices and corresponding email accounts.

Benifits:

Wireless Message Status Updates
    Status of e-mail messages is kept in constant synchronization with the e-mail server. The status (read, unread, deleted and/or moved) of a message will always be the same whether the user is at his desktop or using his BlackBerry.

Remote Address Lookup
    BlackBerry users will be able to lookup contact information that is stored in Outlook in real-time from almost anywhere. Your staff will never be without crucial contact information again.

Integrated Attachment Viewing
    This allows users to view Excel, Word, PowerPoint, PDF, WordPerfect and text files on the BlackBerry handheld. These file formats are some of the most common ones exchanged in business today. With BES, your staff will be able to use all of these data formats while they are out in the field.

Wireless Calendar Synchronization
    Updates to your company’s Outlook calendar are kept up-to-date in real-time on your fleet of BlackBerry handhelds. This will make your organization adaptable to scheduling changes that arise.

----------------------------------------------------------

Redirector or BES?
    All BlackBerry devices require some sort of program or service to forward email from the mailbox to the wireless network provider and thus to the device. The act of copying and forwarding email is called "redirection". One example of a redirector is the BlackBerry Desktop Redirector, a program that runs on your personal computer, monitoring your Exchange mailbox and redirecting a copy of each of the new messages it finds. A redirector can also be a large, multiuser server that does the same for many people's mailboxes at once.

Why you should have a BES account

*With the Desktop Redirector; Your desktop computer must be running the Desktop Redirector and be logged into the Exchange server at all times. Simply turning the computer on is not sufficient, as the Desktop Redirector cannot be installed as a service; it must run as a desktop application. Using the BES Redirector frees you from this.

*The BES Redirector; provides features that you can't get through the Desktop Redirector:

+ Global Address List lookups: Non-BES users can only do lookups in the address book kept on the device itself. For GAL lookup instructions, see the Knowledge Base document With a BlackBerry at IU, how do I search for an address in the Exchange GAL?
    + Wireless calendar synchronization: Non-BES users must cradle to synchronize their calendars. For more information, see the Knowledge Base document With a BlackBerry, how do I reconcile my email, calendar, and other data?
    + Attachment rendering: Non-BES users cannot receive attachments.
    + Wireless password reset: Non-BES users cannot reset their passwords remotely.
    + The BES service allows for centralized management of BlackBerry accounts.

What is MDS?
    The Mobile Data Service (MDS) feature of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, enables an Enterprise to provide controlled browsing of Intranet and Internet web content to Blackberry handheld device.

jeffery no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Guide to: Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES)

How much bandwidth does the BES server use/requires with the Outlook server? Can we place the 2 servers apart and link vai WAN? Given the BB is quite well compressed, does the crompression lso works between exchange and BES server?

zeeshanahmad no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    56f785e3

Lightbulb Re: Guide to: Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES)

if we talk about exchange.
    BES server must able to contact active directory users if MS Exchange whether exchange server in US and BES in Pakistan.
    Zeeshan Ahmad Bhatti
    Blackberry Engineer
    Mobilink, Pakistan
    zeeshanatta@gmail.com

mgrayeb no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi.

I just bought a Verizon Blackberry 8703e.

At the company where I work, they use a BES to service T-Mobile Blackberry 8700g units.

Will it be possible for my IT person to link my Verizon 8703e to the BES that our company uses, so that my Outlook Calendar function will wirelessly update and sync to my Blackberry?

Thansk.

Colorado_RN no está en línea Stack level 1

Hello -

Is it possible to activate NON-BLACKBERRY devices on a BES? Such as a Palm Treo?

We have a corporate BES...we want to allow employees to purchase their own devices or use their already purchased devices on our network. Works for them, saves us money by not purchasing devices for them to use. Is it possible?

Other than the support nightmare and the variation in carriers, what else would prevent a successful activation?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

GIJoeJarhead no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32CC9C41

I'm certainly not an expert with the BES, although I can hold my own with most issues. A Palm Treo is a Windows Mobile Device, and activates differently than a Blackberry. I do not believe it is possible to activate ANY Palm or Windows devices on a BES.

Hayden may know of a trick to make it work, but I am guessing the headache is not worth it.

GIJoeJarhead no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32CC9C41

RE: mgrayeb . . . you should have no problems activating your personel Blackberry on the corporate BES, although you will more than likely need to upgrade your data plan to the unlimited one, and not the $29.99 plan.

If you are using your personel e-mail account, yahoo, g-mail, etc, when you sync the Blkackberry to the BES you will get your corporate e-mail in the same inbox.

I am not sure if there is a way to seperate them or not, all of our users were set up with the corporate account first.

kunmingpete no está en línea Stack level 1

hi

where do i get the enterprise server ? i just bought the blackberry in a shop in shanghai, (I live in China), and through it would work like a smart phone and down load my email , but this does not seem to happen

and being non too technical, the forum just confuses me

what are my basic options ?

also i can write chinese on it, on the chinese input page, on calender, on notes, in address book, but it refuses to write them, or even let me copy them into a sms, why is this ?

as it displays chinese sent to me, very odd

cheers, any help would be apprciated

Pete

rob_grimes no está en línea Stack level 1

If my company is using a BES in conjunction with Sprint, can they activate my AT&T Curve? They are telling me they cannot.

ssullivan8130 no está en línea Stack level 2

How do you turn off MDS Internet filtering?

Gockey no está en línea Stack level 1

I have been told by my manager that i need to change my besadmin accounts password.
    This is the service account also what steps do i need to take to do this.
    We run exchange 2003 on 2003 win servers.