Hello hope someone can help me out here. I think it may be a fairly ... Server Admins forum

zerodayz no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Google Maps firewall Policy

Advertisement

Hello hope someone can help me out here. I think it may be a fairly common problem seen some posts however, none seem to fix the problem when on BES. Let me explain:

Phone: 8100 Pearl
    Google Maps: 1.5.3
    Data Plan.
    TomTom GPS MkII Bluetooth receiver.

BES v4.0.0.18
    (Lotus Domino)

Senario:
    I can get Google maps working fine on my device, (I'm kinda a novice BES admin) however as soon as I try to enable the GPS functionality I receive the following error:

"The application gmaps8100_v4_1_L1 has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT Policy"

Being the BES admin, I have a blank IT policy, that is, there are no restrictions.

Why is it denying me access to the GPS receiver. In contrast, Blackberry Maps works fine, and connects to the GPS device.

Settings>Advanced>GPS>[my gps device] is set correctly.

I also receive the same error when using another mapping application (Telmap).

There are no Software configurations set on the BES server. Not sure how to, to be honest!

Other threads that are similar to this all say to wipe the IT Policy, the old "blackberry.ig3.net" trick. Well, yes that works. I can then use Google Maps and GPS. Great! BUT, as soon as I Enterprise Activate, it kills it. (above error)

What Policy option do I need to remove/add to enable access to the bluetooth GPS device?

Thanks for reading this far!!

Thanks in advance.

zerodayz.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Google Maps firewall Policy

Try this. On your BlackBerry, go to ( Settings/Tools --> ) Options --> Security Options --> Application Permissions. Scroll down to Google Maps, hit the Menu button and select Edit Permissions. Make sure Connections, Interactions and User Data are all set to Allow. If they're not, hit [Space] to expand each, and scroll down to the item that's NOT set to Allow and hit [Space] to change it to Allow. Save the settings when done.
    JerryD

Sorry, forgot to mention, I had checked that.

All settings are set to Allow.

Thanks anyway!

zeyrah no está en línea Stack level 3

I don't think you can have 3rd party apps on enterprise due to the security risk. Check the BB knowledge base and see if you can find something there! Good luck!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

That's definitely not true. I have 2 8800's on hosted BES with Google Maps (and plenty of other 3rd party apps) running just fine. The BES admin can disallow 3rd party apps but that doesn't seem to be the case here according the what zerodayz is saying.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I'm not the BES expert at all but I seem to remember that the default IT policy or Blank policy has Bluetooth turned off and you need to allow it for some applications. Not sure about all this but give it a try

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thumbs up Re: Google Maps firewall Policy

Fixed!

Right, managed answer my own question. Thanks for all the tips by the way.

Turns out, a 'blank' IT policy is still too restrictive. I went through it, line by line and found the offending rule:

Security Policy Group: "Allow Split-Pipe Connections" (Default=False)

This disables applications to open Internal and External connections simultaneously. Hence blocking my BT connection as it is an external connection. Made this rule True, now works.

Thanks once again.

zerodayz

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by zerodayz
    Fixed!

Turns out, a 'blank' IT policy is still too restrictive. I went through it, line by line and found the offending rule:

This disables applications to open Internal and External connections simultaneously. Hence blocking my BT connection as it is an external connection. Made this rule True, now works.

Thanks once again.

zerodayz
    Nice work zerodayz!

Have you been able to track down where the setting is on the BlackBerry?

What I don't get is why this hasn't been a problem for more people!
    JerryD

Lightbulb Re: Google Maps firewall Policy

I'm not sure it's configurable on the Blackberry.
    I've been through every setting twice, trying to fix this for the last few weeks!

*If* it is configurable on the handset, (which it may well not) it will be somewhere in the firewall settings, of which are locked for me. Not sure what options you get when this is not locked (red padlock symbol) It may either just be a on/off setting or more granular whereby it may be in there.

Clear as mud? Good.

zerodayz

hsdrggr no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by zerodayz
    Fixed!

Thanks once again.

zerodayz
    zerodayz,

I have the exact same problem with my 8700r and the identical TomTom BT puck. I am unable to find an editor for the policy.bin file. Based on searching the web it looks like I am looking for itpolicy.exe which can edit policy.inf files and create policy.bin files. Any idea where I can find this program. It appears that it comes on an OEM Enterprise CD, but I do not have one, and I would really like to get google maps to work on my berry.

Thank you,

hsdrggr

vikjts no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by zerodayz View Post
    Fixed!

Thanks once again.

zerodayz
    ZeroDayz, How do you edit the policy file? Thanks.

becsta no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ive got the same problem. Would love to be able to fix it. I'm not on BES.

vikjts no está en línea Stack level 1

Hey, can you email me the blank(less restrictive) policy file at vikjts@gmail.com. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zerodayz View Post
    Fixed!

Thanks once again.

zerodayz