While attending a Blackberry web seminar, I asked the question: Does Blackberry recommend a preferred ... Server Admins forum

Jobsdone no está en línea Stack level 2

Post Fewer boxes in the den....

Advertisement

While attending a Blackberry web seminar, I asked the question:

Does Blackberry recommend a preferred Virtual environment?

The answer:

We should be supporting VMWare ESX server as of BES 4.1.2, scheduled for the fall timeframe.

Regards,

Warren James
    BlackBerry Solutions Group
    Research In Motion |

...music to my ears.
    Cordially,

Jobsdone

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Fewer boxes in the den....

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~explain for some of us. What does this really mean in plain English?

Jobsdone no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by navilyn
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~explain for some of us. What does this really mean in plain English?
    Hi navilyn,
    that simply means that a BES may be loaded onto a box as a virtual server. Instead of having to acquire 2 or three servers it will be possible to have Windows Small Business Server (SBS), XP and the Blackberry Enterprise Server all on the same box.
    Very neat, economical stuff.
    Cordially,

Jobsdone

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

Oh, I see! Yes, hence your 'subject line'. All makes sense now...

HaMakor no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    203813B3

Just as an added extra on this, I'm running a BES 4.1 server on Domino 7 on Windows 2003 Standard (server) on VMWare Server 1.0 (yeah, I know, a "x.0" release!) on Red Hat Linux ES 4!! It's working great! I doubt VMWare Server is a supported platform, but it's been up for a month or two now (including the Beta and Release Candidates) and I've been really happy with it. Than again though, I'm only using it as a test machine so it's not being pounded by lots of users, but no complaints so far.

wde3h no está en línea Stack level 1

HaMakor,
    We ran (3) 4.0 Blackberry Enterprise Servers on VMware for a year + and did not have many problems until the blocked thread issues, which would start when we would try to send a large encrypted message to several users. It would start out slow and then the BES would stop responding. The only way we could fix it was to restart the service after we scanned the log files and figured out who sent the messages. If we could not contact the customer we would administratively log into the mail box and delete the encrypted message from the mailbox. Restart the services and wait for mail to flow. We are testing the VM3 and hope that this will solve our issues with Blocked threads. I will let you know if it works.