1. What do I do if I am adding a user to BlackBerry Enterprise Server ... Server Admins forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

FAQ - BES (Miscellaneous)

Advertisement

1. What do I do if I am adding a user to BlackBerry Enterprise Server and (**Server name) Initializing or (** Servername) Running is showing?
    2. What do I do if I have reinstalled BlackBerry Enterprise Server and I am receiving the message, "BlackBerry Enterprise Server Open Failed Service Already Exists", and no BlackBerry Service appears in the Control Panel services icon?
    3. What are the BlackBerry Enterprise Server logs?
    4. Can debug logs assist in debugging without calling Technical Support? Where would I find documentation on this?
    5. Should I be archiving the BlackBerry Enterprise debug logs?
    6. How do I move a user from one BlackBerry Enterprise Server to another?
    7. How do I add a new user to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server?
    8. How do I remove a user from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server?
    9. How do I move the BlackBerry Enterprise Server from one machine to another?
    10. How do I install multiple BlackBerry Enterprise Servers in one site?
    11. How do I purge pending messages on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server?
    12. How do I filter out emails at the BlackBerry Enterprise Server level?

1. What do I do if I am adding a user to BlackBerry Enterprise Server and (**Server name) Initializing or (** Servername) Running is showing?

This usually indicates a problem with the user's encryption key. The encryption key has not been updated between the handheld and the server, resulting in this error. To resolve this issue, update the user's encryption key. If this does not resolve the issue, you can remove the user from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and BlackBerry tab, using the following steps:

1. In Microsoft Exchange Administrator, right-click the Configuration container and select BlackBerry Servers > Handheld Manager.
    2. Select the Remove button.
    3. In Microsoft Exchange Administrator, right-click the Recipients container.
    4. Open the user's account.
    5. Select the BlackBerry tab.
    6. Select the Remove from Server button.
    7. Wipe the client database.
    8. Re-add the user.

2. What do I do if I have reinstalled BlackBerry Enterprise Server and I am receiving the message, "BlackBerry Enterprise Server Open Failed Service Already Exists", and no BlackBerry Service appears in the Control Panel services icon?

1. Type the following information from a command prompt:
    blackberryserver -remove

Note: This must be done in the directory where the install files resides.

2. Install the software properly from a command prompt, as shown below:
    C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server blackberryserver -install -login=<DOMAIN>\<Account> -password=<psw> -auto

This command will create the service and allow you to install or uninstall the service properly.

3. What are the BlackBerry Enterprise Server logs?

The debug logs assist us in troubleshooting the BlackBerry Enterprise Server service. Items that we can monitor include:
    bullet SRP connection: the connection between your company and the RIM infrastructure.
    bullet MAPI health: This includes any possible problems that might be happening between the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and the Microsoft Exchange Server(s)
    bullet Connectivity to users' mailboxes: This includes the ability of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to interact with individual users.
    bullet Mail flow: reasons why mail is, or is not moving.
    bullet Generally, verify that user mailboxes are working.

4. Can debug logs assist in debugging without calling Technical Support? Where would I find documentation on this?

Yes, these logs can be very helpful in diagnosing potential problems within the network set up, firewalls and interconnectivity to Microsoft Exchange Servers. They also assist in tracking potential issues with individual users and servers. Documentation of what the different entries in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server logs mean and how to interpret them is available on the web site.

5. Should I be archiving the BlackBerry Enterprise debug logs?

We suggest that the logs be archived. The number of logs that you track should depend on a few factors, such as drive space, number of users, number of servers, and historical records.

The BlackBerry Enterprise Server logs are very helpful to the Technical Support people for resolving issues and aiding understanding of the usage of individual users. As such, we need these logs to review previous events for users/servers. Keeping a few days worth of logs is suggested if you feel that something may not be performing in the expected manner. These logs will assist in understanding the issue and resolving any settings that may need to be changed.

6. How do I move a user from one BlackBerry Enterprise Server to another?

To move a BlackBerry user from one BlackBerry Enterprise Server to another requires the following steps:

For a local user being added to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server:
    bullet Remove the user from the original BlackBerry Enterprise Server, and wipe the client database. This can be done by following these steps:

1. From the Recipients container of the Microsoft Exchange Administrator window, double-click the user's name to open the user's Properties window.
    2. Select the BlackBerry tab.
    3. Select Remove from Server.
    4. You will be prompted to choose whether to remove the user from the server or to completely clear the user's database. At this point, choose to clear the user's database.

bullet Add the user to the new BlackBerry Enterprise Server (this procedure is the same as for a new user):

1. From the Recipients container of the Microsoft Exchange Administrator window, double-click a user's name to open the user's Properties window.
    2. Select the BlackBerry tab
    3. If the user's handheld is available, connect it to the serial port for automatic recognition. If a handheld is detected, the PIN number appears in a non-editable field. If the user's handheld is not available, you should instruct the user to connect the handheld to the desktop software so that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server will take over email redirection for the handheld.
    4. Select Add to Server to open the Add Handheld to a BlackBerry Server window.
    5. From the Select BlackBerry Server list, choose the server on which you would like this user to reside.

For a remote user being added to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server:

1. Open the Microsoft Exchange Client Administration program.
    2. Select the Configuration container.
    3. Double-click on the BlackBerry Server icon.
    4. Select the Add Users button. This button will open a dialog box with the following options:
    bullet Global Address Book
    bullet Import Users from a File
    bullet Add Selected Users
    5. Select the Global Address Book option
    6. Select the user from the Add Users list.

7. How do I add a new user to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server?

To add a new user to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server follow the steps below:

1. From the Recipients container of the Microsoft Exchange Administrator window, double-click a user's name to open the user's Properties window.
    2. Select the BlackBerry tab
    3. If the user's handheld is available, connect it to the serial port for automatic recognition. If a handheld is detected, the PIN number appears in a non-editable field. If the user's handheld is not available, you should instruct the user to connect the handheld to the BlackBerry Desktop Software so that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server will take over email redirection for the handheld.
    4. Select Add to Server to open the Add Handheld to a BlackBerry Server window.
    5. From the Select BlackBerry Server list, choose the server on which you would like this user to reside.

8. How do I remove a user from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server?

To remove a user from a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, follow the steps below:

1. From the Recipients container of the Microsoft Exchange Administrator window, double-click the user's name to open the user's Properties window.
    2. Select the BlackBerry tab.
    3. Select Remove from Server.

You will be prompted to choose whether to remove the user from the server or to completely clear the user's database. If you select Yes to clear the database, the user's handheld will be removed from the server, and all the handheld's information will be deleted. If you select No, the user will be removed from the server only.

9. How do I move the BlackBerry Enterprise Server from one machine to another?

To move the BlackBerry Enterprise Server from one physical machine to another, follow the steps below:

1. Write down or backup the following information:
    bullet The BlackBerry Enterprise Server Name
    bullet BESAdmin Mailbox
    bullet SRP Identifier with the corresponding SRP Authentication Key
    2. Install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server on the new machine and enter the information from the above step in the appropriate fields. The only information that will be different is the NetBIOS name of the server.

When installing the new BlackBerry Enterprise Server, all the information must be identical to the original install. The only thing that will be different is the NetBIOS name of the server.
    Once that has been completed, the administrator must stop the BlackBerry Server Service on the original BlackBerry Enterprise Server before starting the new BlackBerry Server Service or there will be SRP connection problems.

10. How do I install multiple BlackBerry Enterprise Servers in one site?

When adding additional BlackBerry Enterprise Servers (that will be using the same BESAdmin account), confirm that the BESAdmin account (or the account used when installing the BlackBerry Enterprise Server) has the correct permissions including "log on as a service" and "log on locally".

11. How do I purge pending messages on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server?

The following steps will purge all messages that are waiting to be sent to a user's BlackBerry handheld.

1. Open Microsoft Exchange Administrator.
    2. Select the Recipients container for that specific Microsoft Exchange site.
    3. Open the user's account.
    4. Select the BlackBerry tab.
    5. Select Purge Pending.

12. How do I filter out emails at the BlackBerry Enterprise Server level?

The administrator(s) of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server can put restrictions on emails that get sent to the BlackBerry handheld devices. Global redirection filters take precedence over those defined by the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

1. From the Configuration container of the Microsoft Exchange Administration window, double-click the BlackBerry Servers icon.
    2. In the BlackBerry Servers Properties window, from the Server Config list, select the desired server.
    3. Select System Info.
    4. Select Global Filters.
    5. In the Filters tab of the Redirector Settings window, select New to open the Add Filter window.
    6. In the Filter Name field, type a name to describe the new filter.
    7. Fill in the filter information.
    8. When the conditions and actions have been set, select OK. The new filter will appear in the list on the Filters tab.

HOK
    HOK no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: FAQ - BES (Miscellaneous)

thanks for the info.

wackojacko no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2062ac6f

how do i delete pre loaded ringtones

Kassanak no está en línea Stack level 1

Really helpful, but need more info????
    -------
    Please Thanks!
    Last edited by Kassanak; 11-05-2007 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Automerged.

Djmarbll no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219C9716

Quote Originally Posted by wackojacko View Post
    how do i delete pre loaded ringtones
    You can only delete the ringtones you added. The preloaded ringtones are locked in the device. Are you trying to free up memory?

NetTech no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: FAQ - BES (Miscellaneous)

Re: How do I move the BlackBerry Enterprise Server from one machine to another?

I need to do this, but I have some questions.

After completing the installation on the new server, how are users handled? I only have three.

I thinking that these are the steps
    Purge the accounts on the old server
    Shut down the old server
    enable the new server
    create new accounts on the new BES
    wipe the devices
    sync with the new server

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dennis

ma19juice no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24254EA9

What is this Blackberry Enterprise what can yo do how can you get does it cost sorry im knew!!!!!

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Quote Originally Posted by ma19juice View Post
    What is this Blackberry Enterprise what can yo do how can you get does it cost sorry im knew!!!!!
    See this thread:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...erver_bes.html

If you got your BB yourself through your carrier, you are more than likely on BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service).
    Last edited by Lavagirl; 02-19-2008 at 04:58 AM.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide