Hi everyone, I am on a corporate BES with my 8830 and am also an ... Server Admins forum

Ybot no está en línea Stack level 1

Facebook app + Corporate BES = No go? BES admins please help!

Advertisement

Hi everyone,

I am on a corporate BES with my 8830 and am also an avid Facebook user. I can download the application easily enough, but when I go to log in I see activity and the screen reads "Contacting Facebook" but then it fails with the "There was an error contacting Facebook" message.

So, I went into Options > Security Options > Application Permissions to see if the problem was there, but the Facebook application is not. So I then went into Options > Security Options > Certificates and noticed three certidficates with red X's next to them:

Anny Way WAP Root
    GTE CyberTrust Root
    login.facebook.com, Equifax Secure Group

So I clicked on the Facebook one and pressed Fetch Status. It then asked me to select a password so I chose my default BlackBerry password. The red X then changed to a green Check.

I then tried this on the other two certificates to no avail, I receive this message when I click on Fetch Status: "Internal proxy provider error. The certificate chain has expired or is not yet valid. The OCSP request was not sent."

So I am thinking this must be at least PART of the problem as to why I am getting There was an error contacting Facebook" when I try to use it.

Are there any BES admins who can help??? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ybot

snoweey no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f389df

Re: Facebook app + Corporate BES = No go? BES admins please help!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~im having the exact same issue hopefully someone out there can help

Ybot no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: Facebook app + Corporate BES = No go? BES admins please help!

Hi there,

So I spoke to my BES admin and it turns out the problem is that our corporate BES policy is set up to not allow new security certificates and for some reason (maybe keeping you logged in?) the Facebook app needs to set a security certificate. So, here is what I was told to do. It totally worked too!

1. Back up the BlackBerry to your desktop using the Desktop Manager (go into Backup/Restore to do it)
    2. Go into Options > Security Options > General | and select Wipe Handset
    3. After the handset has been wiped, download, install and configure the Facebook app
    4. Re-connect the BlackBerry to your desktop and go into Backup/Restore, then chose Restore

This will restore the BlackBerry back to the old state but WITH the Facebook application working!

I hope this helps. It did for me!

TimJC no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23f584f0

Quote Originally Posted by Ybot View Post
    Hi there,

So I spoke to my BES admin and it turns out the problem is that our corporate BES policy is set up to not allow new security certificates and for some reason (maybe keeping you logged in?) the Facebook app needs to set a security certificate. So, here is what I was told to do. It totally worked too!

1. Back up the BlackBerry to your desktop using the Desktop Manager (go into Backup/Restore to do it)
    2. Go into Options > Security Options > General | and select Wipe Handset
    3. After the handset has been wiped, download, install and configure the Facebook app
    4. Re-connect the BlackBerry to your desktop and go into Backup/Restore, then chose Restore

This will restore the BlackBerry back to the old state but WITH the Facebook application working!

I hope this helps. It did for me!
    That worked. As soon as it I logged into Facebook with the wiped BB I was prompted to accept the certificate. One thing to remember though, you may need to force registration of you device on the mobile network before you can log in to the Facebook app. To do this go to (settings)>options>advanced options>host routing table. Then click the wheel or hit the menu key and select register now.

Thanks

jrok14 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3179870B

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~will this require me to be re activated on the BES?

TimJC no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23f584f0

Quote Originally Posted by jrok14 View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~will this require me to be re activated on the BES?
    yes it will

rizzimelb no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Re: Facebook app + Corporate BES = No go? BES admins please help!

Quote Originally Posted by TimJC View Post
    That worked. As soon as it I logged into Facebook with the wiped BB I was prompted to accept the certificate. One thing to remember though, you may need to force registration of you device on the mobile network before you can log in to the Facebook app. To do this go to (settings)>options>advanced options>host routing table. Then click the wheel or hit the menu key and select register now.

Thanks
    I was not able to connect with the steps above. Will the access be a provider specific? I am with Optus Mobile in Australia.

I didnt get the prompt to accept the certificate. I tested the browser(before doing the enterprise activation with my corporate BES) and was able to access website.
    It still gave me the error message cannot connect.

few questions :

1) Do I install the facebook app, backup my BB , wipe my BB, install facebook, configure, restore from backup then do the enterprise activation or

remove facebook app, backup my BB, wipe my BB, install facebook, configure, restore from backup then do the enterprise activation

Any clues why?

Thanks in advance.
    Rizz
    Last edited by rizzimelb; 11-01-2007 at 08:11 PM.
    Rizzie @Melbourne
    BB8800

Cooper_Lang no está en línea Stack level 2

BBGEEKS dot COM has created a great walkthrough and video preview of the Facebook application for Blackberry.

Check it out -- it is on the home page, sorry guys I can't post URLs yet