Extra characters are added to the recipient address causing a delivery failure. (BES Lotus Notes)

Question: I have a verizon 7130e. We use lotus notes and BES 2.2 release 2. I can receive email, but when I compose or reply, extra characters are added to the recipient address causing a delivery failure. My old blackberry (tmobile 6750) worked fine. Anyone know why this is happening?
Answer: Make sure you are using wildcard in your email filers. The Filters tab in Redirector Settings enables users to create email filters within Desktop Manager 3.6 and 4.0. The filters can also be set on a BlackBerry wireless device running Device Software 4.0 by going into Email Options > Email Filters.
These filters define how incoming messages should be treated based on a set criteria. When a message is received that matches the filter criteria, the filter automatically applies one of the following actions to the message:
  • forward
  • forward with priority
  • do not forward to your device

When creating an email filter for an Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) email address, the filter will not work for Lotus Notes users unless a wildcard or asterisk (e.g. *) is added to the end of the email address. For example, username@hotmail.com*
The wildcard character is needed because the SMTP format would show up as User Name <username@hotmail.com>. It will not be filtered unless a wild card has been added to email to negate the extra characters placed at the beginning and end of the email address.