Where I work, we're currently rebooting our Exchange server (2003) every night. Of course this ... Server Admins forum

bshacklett no está en línea Stack level 1

Exchange reboots and BES server

Advertisement

Where I work, we're currently rebooting our Exchange server (2003) every night. Of course this tends to cause issues with the BES server and every once in a while we've had things stop syncing and have to reboot it. I've been working on setting something up to manage this, but as I'm doing so, two questions popped into my head.

1. Is it really necessary to reboot an Exchange server on a scheduled basis? I was under the impression that windows server 2003 really didn't need to be rebooted the way 2000 and NT did.

2. For those of you who do reboot your Exchange server regularly, how are you handling the BES server? My thought was to have the Exchange server send a message to the BES server somehow which would trigger it to stop all of the BES services and reboot once Exchange was back up. Is there a better way to do this?

BBP
    BBP no está en línea Stack level 3
    why rebooting exchange?

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Exactly. Is there a reason you reboot Exchange every night? Mine hasn't been rebooted in months.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I guess the idea behind it is just that it's Windows and it doesn't tend to like staying up for very long, but I'm thinking server 2003 should be a lot better with that. I know that we're not going to be doing the reboots nightly, but we're still looking at some sort of scheduled reboot at the moment. I'm looking to find out whether reboots are necessary at all. I haven't really been able to find any strong recommendations either way, though. I really wish there was some sort of case study out there...

Oh, I should mention that we're moving towards Exchange 2007 soon. Possibly on top of Windows server 2008.

BBP
    BBP no está en línea Stack level 3
    You dont need to reboot exchange, servers...etc before moving to exchange or 2008 server please do some reading this can affect you network and it cause problems

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    How many times per month do you reboot your exchange server?

Like BBP said, it can cause problems..not just with the BES.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

knottyrope no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Mine has been up for 9 week since last power failure.
    Before that it was up for 30 weeks.

Exch 2003 sp2, 2003 sp2, BES 4.1.5

Are you rebooting during the maitence cycle that exchange does?
    That can screw things up.

Do you have anything you might be able to point me to? As I mentioned, I've been looking for information on it, but I haven't been able to find anything substantial.

As for the maintenance cycle, I can't say. I haven't gotten a chance to work with Exchange much yet. I'll be going to training sometime fairly soon.

PIN/ID
    ask
    http://www.msexchange.org/

Go there and start reading all the articles this weekend and stop rebooting your servers.

I do not reboot any of my servers unless a service pack/hotfix/install requires it.

I've disabled the scheduled task and we're going to keep an eye on things for a while. I'm also planning on running the Exchange Best Practices scanner. Anyone have any good luck with that?

I appreciate the input from everyone. Also, thanks for the link to msexchange.org. I'll be spending a good amount of time there.

PIN/ID
    ask
    I think thats for a new install.
    I run the exchange troubleshooting assisstant during peak times to see where bottle necks are.

Before doing anything scour that site.
    It also has a forum you should join.