All, On Wed. of last week, our Exchange server died. A drive failed in our ... Server Admins forum

TriZz no está en línea Stack level 2

Exchange Died. Rebuilt. Now BB Server says "initializing" all devices.

Advertisement

All,

On Wed. of last week, our Exchange server died. A drive failed in our RAID-5 array and when we put in a new drive, while it was rebuilding the array, it died. The server wouldn't reboot into Windows afterwards, so we had no choice but to install Exchange on a different server, give it the same IP address/hostname as the broken one and then recover all of the old mail from the broken the server and import it to the new one.

Now that our users are sending/receiving mail and have access to all of their old mail, we need to get the BES working again (executives that don't have their devices get cranky).

As it stands, every user is listed as "initializing" where they once said "running."

I figured I'd ask the forum for some advice on how I can do this without having to claim all of the devices and reactivate them...since a few of our users are in different states and one is in London.

I'm assuming that when BES was initially installed, it installs some services and whatnot on the Exchange server. Since those services are not installed on the new server running Exchange, that is where my problem lies.

Any suggestions on what I would need to do here? I really want to avoid having to uninstall/reinstall the server then reactivate the devices.

Misc. Information:

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2
    Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.2.25

Thank you all for your future input,
    TriZz

ecnavt no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32caaed1
    That's not a fun place to be. Let's see if we can get you better. First, there's no services installed on the Exchange server. The BES "simply" opens a MAPI connection to the mailbox.

You didn't mention if you restarted the BES services or server. BES is quite particular about being able to maintain it's connection to the Exchange server. A good rule of thumb here is if the mailboxes become unavailable for a period of time (I forget the timing, but it's like 10 minutes multiplied by a factor) then you should restart the BES.

Trevor

TriZz no está en línea Stack level 2
    Hey ecnavt,

Thanks for your reply. I definitely restarted BES, in fact, that's when the device's status changed from "running" to "initializing".

I hope this helps!