Install BES 4.1.3 or higher in an Exchange 2007 Environment By Gary Cutri Version 1.0 ... Server Admins forum

garycutri no está en línea Stack level 3

Exchange 2007 BES Install Guide

Advertisement

Install BES 4.1.3 or higher in an Exchange 2007 Environment
    By Gary Cutri
    Version 1.0

Note: In an Exchange 2007 environment BlackBerry Enterprise Server cannot be installed on the mail server as the BES software is not 64BIT compatible.

1. On the server you have selected to load BlackBerry Enterprise Server download and install “Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1” which is available from the Microsoft Download site (a.k.a ExchangeMapiCdo.EXE). This will install the CDO and MAPI DLLs which are no longer available in Exchange 2007. This replaces the previous requirement to have Exchange System Manager installed as in Exchange 2000 or 2003 environments. The current download link

2. Log onto your Exchange Server using an account which has permissions to create an account. Open the Exchange Management Console and create a service account called BESadmin.

3. From the Exchange 2007 server open the “Exchange Management Shell” which can be found in the Exchange program group. From EMS run the following two scripts to set the delegate control and required permissions:

get-mailboxserver “<mail_server_name>” | add-exchangeadministrator “BESAdmin” –role ViewOnlyAdmin

get-mailboxserver “<mail_server_name>” | add-adpermission –user “BESAdmin” –accessrights ExtendedRight –extendedrights Send-As, Receive-As, ms-Exch-Store-Admin

4. Open Active Directory and from the View menu select "Advanced Features". Then go to each user that will be added to the BES and open their properties, go to the security tab and add the user BESadmin and add the security permission "Send As". (This will overcome some MS patches that prevent BES sending emails). Methods are available to add BESadmin "Send As" rights to all users if required but this method ensures only the required users have permissions added.

5. Make BESadmin a local Administrator of the server where you will be installing the BES software. This is done by right mouse clicking my computer and selecting “Manage”. From Computer Management expand “Local Users & Groups” and select Groups. From Groups double click “Administrators” and add BESadmin.

6. On the BES server go to “Administrative Tools” and open "Local Security Policy" and then expand the "Local Policies" and "User Right Assignment". You need to add BESadmin to "Log on Locally" and log on as Service".

7. Log onto the server where you will be installing the BES using the BESadmin account. Extract the install files and run the install file. Normally you select "BlackBerry Enterprise Server" as the install option once prompted as most sites don't use the MDS services for custom applications (MDS is a much heavier install). Follow the prompts of the install and the server will be required to restart half way through the install. Restart the server and log back on as BESadmin and the install will continue. (Make sure the Connect Test works and the SRP ID etc is validated during the install)

8. After the install is finished open BlackBerry Manager, an error will appear about MAPI client which you can just hit OK. The MAPI setting windows will appear so just add the server name back in and select "Check Name", if it resolves just hit OK and the manager will start.

9. Within Blackberry Manager click on Blackberry Domain in the left column and then the users SERVERS tab in the centre section, select your server within this tab and view the properties below. Ensure that "SRP Status:" is Connected (This can take a few minutes the first time so refresh the screen a few times). Once your status is connected you can start adding users.

10. Within Blackberry Manager click on your server name (The blue server) in the left column and then the users TAB in the centre section, just add a user and the click on that user. You will see all the users’ properties and a drop down menu called "Service Access” and select “Set Activation Password” and set a password of “a” for example.

11. Turn on you BlackBerry device and ensure Wireless is enabled. Go into “Options/Settings” and “Time & Date” and set the correct zone and time etc. Then from the home screen go to enterprise activation and enter the users email address and enter the password that was set in step 10. Press the track wheel and select Activate. Within a minute you should get data returned which indicates the process is functioning correct.

Extra Details:

Send As Permissions

Download and install the MAPI and CDO Clients that are missing when updating to Microsoft Exchange 2007
    Last edited by garycutri; 05-07-2007 at 08:53 AM.
    Blackberry Support Forums - Asia Pacific
    www.blackberryforums.com.au

Crewdawg257 no está en línea BES Pro

Re: Exchange 2007 BES Install Guide

This is a great resource. We may want to move it to the FAQ section.
    --
    I suspect that Microsoft Access is nothing but Microsoft Excel with a VBScript wrapper.
    - Unknown

mojo919 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24FC5F32

Hello Gary,

Excuse me for the noob question, but i thought it was not a good idea to install exchange & BES on the same machine ?

Is anyone here running exchange & BES on a single/same server ?

Thanks
    -mojo-

Quote Originally Posted by mojo919
    Hello Gary,

Excuse me for the noob question, but i thought it was not a good idea to install exchange & BES on the same machine ?

Is anyone here running exchange & BES on a single/same server ?

Thanks
    -mojo-
    It's very common for most small businesses to install BES on the SBS server. It works perfect and RIM now officially support up to 15 users running on the Exchange server. Where ever possible I always install the clients BES on a separate server but in some cases they only have one server. I have also written a detailed install guide for SBS which is posted on this site.

PIN/ID
    24FC5F32

Quote Originally Posted by garycutri
    It's very common for most small businesses to install BES on the SBS server. It works perfect and RIM now officially support up to 15 users running on the Exchange server. Where ever possible I always install the clients BES on a separate server but in some cases they only have one server. I have also written a detailed install guide for SBS which is posted on this site.
    Gary, i suppose this applies to Windows server 2003R2 std + Exchange 2007 std + BES on a single server ? (That it would work perfect?)

Does RIM officialy support Exchange 2007 yet ?

Thanks
    -mojo-

Quote Originally Posted by mojo919
    Gary, i suppose this applies to Windows server 2003R2 std + Exchange 2007 std + BES on a single server ? (That it would work perfect?)

Does RIM officialy support Exchange 2007 yet ?

Thanks
    -mojo-
    Exchange 2007 requires Server 2003 x64 to run so it is not possible to run a BES on the same server as 2007 as BES isn't x64 compatible.

RIM does support Exchange 2007 but only in BETA format as of BES 4.1 Service Pack 3. Full support isn't offered until the release of service pack 4.

PIN/ID
    24FC5F32

Quote Originally Posted by garycutri
    Exchange 2007 requires Server 2003 x64 to run so it is not possible to run a BES on the same server as 2007 as BES isn't x64 compatible.

RIM does support Exchange 2007 but only in BETA format as of BES 4.1 Service Pack 3. Full support isn't offered until the release of service pack 4.
    Gary, if i were to do it like this -

1) Setup Win2003 64bit standard + Exchange 2007 Standard

2) Setup VMware server (I recall ESX being mentioned, but free VMserver version should pull it off)

3) Setup Win2003 32bit standard on VMware server.

4) Setup BES 4.1.3 here.

What do you think ?

Thanks for the info

-mojo-

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

VMWare is a good option but ESX is it's own OS and runs on the Physical Machine. I LOVE ESX. We have our BES on a separate server hosted on ESX and it runs great. I would recommend that you not put VMWare Server on your Exchange server as they are both resource hogs and can consume alot of resources. We use both VMWare Server and ESX. They each have there goods and bads but, ESX is stable and reliable. We have done some serious consolidation and the time frame was less than 30 days.

PIN/ID
    24FC5F32

Quote Originally Posted by MWPatterson
    VMWare is a good option but ESX is it's own OS and runs on the Physical Machine. I LOVE ESX. We have our BES on a separate server hosted on ESX and it runs great. I would recommend that you not put VMWare Server on your Exchange server as they are both resource hogs and can consume alot of resources. We use both VMWare Server and ESX. They each have there goods and bads but, ESX is stable and reliable. We have done some serious consolidation and the time frame was less than 30 days.
    I'd like to try what you've done with ESX as well, but due to budget constraints, i may have to live with VMserver.

How much did the ESX cost ?

Cheers
    -mojo-

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

ESX is around $5000 per 2 physical cores. We have about 40 servers running on ESX right now so we have a alot invested in it but, we continue to add more servers as we need to test stuff.

Doocument Update

Please note that I have made a change to the syntax below by removing the " ":

get-mailboxserver <mail_server_name> | add-exchangeadministrator BESAdmin –role ViewOnlyAdmin

get-mailboxserver <mail_server_name> | add-adpermission –user BESAdmin –accessrights ExtendedRight –extendedrights Send-As, Receive-As, ms-Exch-Store-Admin

Virtual machine software support for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server

BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 3:
    • This version supports VMWare ESX Server Version 3.0. This applies to all mail server platforms.
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 2:
    • This version supports VMWare ESX Server Version 2.5.2 or later. This applies to all mail server platforms.
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 1 or earlier with Virtual Machine software, such as VMWare and Microsoft® Virtual PC:
    • These are currently untested configurations.
    • Support for these configurations is limited, and it may be necessary to request duplication of any problems outside a Virtual Machine environment for further investigation.

If anyone is having calendar synchronization issues please run the following command from the Exchange Management Shell:

set-mailboxserver <mail_server_name> | add-adpermission –user BESAdmin –accessrights GenericRead, GenericWrite, ExtendedRight –extendedrights Send-As, Receive-As, ms-Exch-Store-Admin

eclypse no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have tried these procedures and am still running into the same error. I have stopped the router service for and hour and the BES for an hour. Still have the error.
    However, when i fire up the Blackberry Mgr it asks me to authenticate (without password though . . . for lack of better terms) the besadmin account with the exchange server every time. From the looks of the procedure it should only happen 1 time.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!