Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey all - I'm fairly technical, but I don't really know the jargon of what ... Server Admins forum

amfmac no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Email synching problem - my BB is filling up

Advertisement

Hey all -

I'm fairly technical, but I don't really know the jargon of what I'm trying to describe, so I hope this makes sense. At work, I use Outlook. We have a limited amount of space in our inbox server (250MB or something). We also have unlimited space on another server where I can drag old emails to store for the future - called "personal folders". Every week, I get 300-400 emails that I filter through, delete some and backup the majority to my personal folders.

The emails that I delete are correctly removed from my BB inbox. However, those that I drag from my main Outlook inbox into my personal folders are not removed from my BB. I fear that they are building up to unmanagable levels. How do I make my BB synch to JUST my Outlook inbox? It isn't really synching with the personal folders - there are thousands of emails that predate the BB that did not get added to the BB. Only new emails that I move to these folders are not removed from the BB.

I hope that makes sense. Please let me know if I can clarify further.

Thanks so much for any help!

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Re: Email synching problem - my BB is filling up

Quote Originally Posted by amfmac
    Hey all -

I'm fairly technical, but I don't really know the jargon of what I'm trying to describe, so I hope this makes sense. At work, I use Outlook. We have a limited amount of space in our inbox server (250MB or something). We also have unlimited space on another server where I can drag old emails to store for the future - called "personal folders". Every week, I get 300-400 emails that I filter through, delete some and backup the majority to my personal folders.

The emails that I delete are correctly removed from my BB inbox. However, those that I drag from my main Outlook inbox into my personal folders are not removed from my BB. I fear that they are building up to unmanagable levels. How do I make my BB synch to JUST my Outlook inbox? It isn't really synching with the personal folders - there are thousands of emails that predate the BB that did not get added to the BB. Only new emails that I move to these folders are not removed from the BB.

I hope that makes sense. Please let me know if I can clarify further.

Thanks so much for any help!
    What you describe sounds about right. Think of Micro$oft Outlook as a series of folders, in this case your inbox and your personal folder are all we'll talk about. Most likely, your personal folder is a sub folder of your inbox.

Since you can drag and drop emails to your personal folder, it has to be connected to your Outlook account. Your BB will is going to display everything in your "Inbox", including it's subfolders.

You can test it like this. In messages, select Options>Email Settings>Menu Button>Folder Redirection. Click. Expand your account so you can see your inbox; then find your personal folder. Most likely, it's a sub folder of your inbox. If yo wish to, uncheck it, and you'll no longer be able view the offending messages from your BB.

In the event this is wrong and I'm totally off here, repost and someone will get you the help you need.

preuegl no está en línea Stack level 2

You might also consider setting your Outlook (Exchange) folders to archive to a PST file offline.

Quote Originally Posted by ma077146
    What you describe sounds about right. Think of Micro$oft Outlook as a series of folders, in this case your inbox and your personal folder are all we'll talk about. Most likely, your personal folder is a sub folder of your inbox.

Since you can drag and drop emails to your personal folder, it has to be connected to your Outlook account. Your BB will is going to display everything in your "Inbox", including it's subfolders.

You can test it like this. In messages, select Options>Email Settings>Menu Button>Folder Redirection. Click. Expand your account so you can see your inbox; then find your personal folder. Most likely, it's a sub folder of your inbox. If yo wish to, uncheck it, and you'll no longer be able view the offending messages from your BB.

In the event this is wrong and I'm totally off here, repost and someone will get you the help you need.
    That's not quite it. The personal folders are not subfolders of my inbox - they are totally seperate, listed on the same 'level' (the top level) as my 'mailbox' folder (under which is my inbox). I tried checking the folder redirection like you suggested, and it appears to be exactly as it should be. The personal folders are not listed at all, so I cannot uncheck them.

I think what is happening is that the BB is not registering that I made any change when I drag an email out of my inbox. The BB only updates when a new email comes in or when one is deleted. It doesn't register the action of pulling an email out of the inbox without deleting it. I guess that means it's not really synching the whole inbox, it's synching with my actions (new email and delete email).

Does that makes sense?

Thanks for the help!

Your BB should sync with subfolders of your Exchange mailbox but NOT with folders located in a PST file. You can test by creating a subfolder to your Exchange mailbox or using an existing subfolder to your Exchange mailbox and dragging email to it. This should remove from the BB inbox once moved to the Exchange subfolder. Once moved to the subfolder you could then setup auto-archive rules in Outlook to clean these subfolders up periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by preuegl
    Your BB should sync with subfolders of your Exchange mailbox but NOT with folders located in a PST file. You can test by creating a subfolder to your Exchange mailbox or using an existing subfolder to your Exchange mailbox and dragging email to it. This should remove from the BB inbox once moved to the Exchange subfolder. Once moved to the subfolder you could then setup auto-archive rules in Outlook to clean these subfolders up periodically.
    I'm not sure I have that option. I was told by my IT guys to use the personal folders to keep old emails. I don't really know what a pst file is, but I cannot really stop using the personal folders.

More than likely, what they are calling personal folders is actually a PST file located on your corporate server. You setting up "auto-archive" rules would basically be the same as copying the files manually to thoses personal folders. The only difference being now you could move files to your exchange subfolders (which will remove the mail from your BB inbox) and let the auto-archive (Outlook) take care of moving them to the personal folders.

noodlenguyen no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i think there's an option on ur BB where you can specify the amount of time your messages is kept in ur inbox. Go to messages>options>general setting>kept messages>15,30 days... I hope this helps. You may consider getting a memory SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by preuegl
    More than likely, what they are calling personal folders is actually a PST file located on your corporate server. You setting up "auto-archive" rules would basically be the same as copying the files manually to thoses personal folders. The only difference being now you could move files to your exchange subfolders (which will remove the mail from your BB inbox) and let the auto-archive (Outlook) take care of moving them to the personal folders.
    Is there any way to make this retroactive?

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenguyen
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i think there's an option on ur BB where you can specify the amount of time your messages is kept in ur inbox. Go to messages>options>general setting>kept messages>15,30 days... I hope this helps. You may consider getting a memory SD card.
    yeah - if nothing else works, that's what I'll have to do. Problem is that some of the emails I do want to keep in my BB inbox will be removed by this.

I can't believe that I'm the only one in my company with this problem. I've put in a request for a solution with my IT guys. We'll see if they respond. I don't have a ton of confidence.

asavage5 no está en línea Stack level 1

if you do the 15,30 days like noodle suggested and mark the emails you want to keep on your bb as 'saved', won't that keep them?

noodlenguyen no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~another thing you can do is in your disktop manager, look at your sync configuration. Personaly I don't have BES but I do sync my calender. Since I have 2 calenders in Outlook (exch and personal), I choose the exch folder. I think you can do the same for inbox mail folders as well.

asanjeliwala no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    251907a9

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~this a known problem, you need to enable "Hard Replication" from your BES, and it will take care of all the messages which you file as part of your mailbox quota policy, document on how to enable Hard Replication is available in BES Help file... Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by asanjeliwala
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~this a known problem, you need to enable "Hard Replication" from your BES, and it will take care of all the messages which you file as part of your mailbox quota policy, document on how to enable Hard Replication is available in BES Help file... Enjoy
    Ah! Is that something the IT guys must do network-wide or can I do it for my individual BB?

Thanks. This sounds promising.

asavage5 no está en línea Stack level 1

This is what I found after following asanjeliwala's advice...has to be system wide, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be turned on...

The hard delete feature enables users to remove a message from their BlackBerry devices wirelessly when they delete a message permanently from their mailbox by pressing SHIFT+DELETE, move a message to a personal folder, or archive a message in Microsoft Outlook. Turn on the hard delete feature to enable users to manage messages on BlackBerry devices by reconciling permanently deleted messages between the desktop email program and BlackBerry devices. The BlackBerry Enterprise Server removes permanently deleted messages from BlackBerry devices in 15- minute intervals.
    1. In the BlackBerry Manager, in the left pane, click a BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
    2. Click Edit Properties.
    3. Click Messaging.
    4. In the Messaging Options section, click Hard Deletes Reconciliation.
    5. In the drop-down list, click True.
    6. Click OK.
    7. On the computer on which the BlackBerry Dispatcher is installed, in the Windows Services, restart the BlackBerry Dispatcher.
    Thanks asanjeliwala...I've been looking for this for some time.
    Last edited by asavage5; 10-16-2007 at 12:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast