I am looking for Input on disaster recovery plans the BES I have 2 Blackberry ... Server Admins forum

mjw
    mjw no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    249D663E

DR plan Looking for input..

Advertisement

I am looking for Input on disaster recovery plans the BES

I have 2 Blackberry enterprise servers and one remote SQL Server 2000 sp4
    BES 1 v4.1.1.1 590 users
    my primary and the SQL database are in the same physical location/building)
    BES 2 v 4.1.1.12 users (separate location)

DR 1 Scenario BES1 crashes SQL up .
    Move all users to BES2 I have tested this in reverse. (I shut down BES2 and waited 10 minutes then was able to move the 2 userson BES2 to BES1 without losing a beat.)

DR Scenario 2 This is where I need help.. And clarification of what will happen
    To Prepare
    SQL database setup the on BES 2 and SQL prepared following KB12247 Backup of SQL database copied nightly to BES2

In a planned outage

Stop services on BES1 before the server is taken down shut down server
    ( stop services and change to manual so that when the server comes back up I can do this procedure in reverse
    Move users to BES2
    Shut down SQL server
    Stop services on BES2 restore database
    Change database in Blackberry server configuration : change server name to itself(The database name will be the same)

Start services on BES2
    Will these procedures allow users not to have to reactivate their devices..
    I thought it may be fine but now I am having doubts
    If the database has both servers in its records as well as all users and
    The only thing that has changed is the actual location of the database??
    Will I be OK????

Also if it was not a planned outage and both BES1 and the SQL server failed.. Would this still work? When I restore the database to BES2 it will still have in its records that the users are on BES 1.. Will I be able to restore the database and use the BB manager to move the users to BES2??

The more I think about it the more I question the outcome!

Any and all thought needed!!!
    Last edited by mjw; 06-19-2007 at 10:50 AM.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: DR plan Looking for input..

Procedure

There are two options for a BlackBerry Enterprise Server Disaster Recovery:
    1. Backup/Restore
    2. Sourceless Move
    Note: Both disaster recovery options do not include disaster recovery for the Microsoft® SQL ServerTM / Database. An independent backup plan for the Microsoft SQL Server / Database is required to ensure the availability of the BlackBerry Configuration Database in a disaster recovery situation.

OPTION 1:
    For a Backup/Restore disaster recovery, use the same SRP ID and perform the following steps (These steps are also outlined in KB04261):
    Note: This option requires performing a cutover without needing to move the BlackBerry device users, however, regular backups of the Microsoft SQL database and the IBM Lotus Domino databases are required. Furthermore, this method is very resource-intensive; data is only as current as the last backup and BlackBerry device users might have some documents orphaned. The failover server in this scenario must not be started while the production server is still running as you will be using the same IBM Lotus Domino server name, machine name and SRP ID.
    <server A>= production server
    <server B>= failover server
    1. Install IBM Lotus Domino on <server B> using the same version as <server A>.
    2. Bring <server A> offline.
    3. C[FONT=Verdana]hange the IBM Lotus Domino server name on <[FONT=Verdana]server B[/FONT]> to the same name used on <s[FONT=Verdana]erver A[/FONT]>.[/FONT]
    4. Ensure the machine name used on [FONT=Verdana] <[FONT=Verdana]server B[/FONT]> is the same name used on <s[FONT=Verdana]erver A[/FONT]>.[/FONT]
    5. Install BlackBerry Enterprise Server software on [FONT=Verdana] <[FONT=Verdana]server B[/FONT]>[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] using the same version including service packs and hotfixes that was on <s[FONT=Verdana]erver A[/FONT]>.[/FONT]
    6. If using Microsoft SQL Server, point [FONT=Verdana] <[FONT=Verdana]server B[/FONT]>[/FONT] to the same Microsoft SQL Server and BlackBerry Configuration Database as <s[FONT=Verdana]erver A[/FONT]>. If using local Microsoft Desk Engine (MSDE), copy the BlackBerry Configuration Database from <s[FONT=Verdana]erver A[/FONT]> to [FONT=Verdana] <[FONT=Verdana]server B[/FONT]>[/FONT] (Steps to perform this cutover can be found in KB04261).
    7. Copy the BlackBerry State Database and BlackBerry User Profile Database from <server A> to [FONT=Verdana] <[FONT=Verdana]server B[/FONT]>[/FONT] (For instructions, see KB04261).
    8. Bring <server B> offline.
    9. Bring <server A> online.
    OPTION 2:
    For a Sourceless Move Disaster Recovery, perform the following steps :
    Note: Two BlackBerry Enterprise Servers are required, each with a separate SRP ID using the same BlackBerry Configuration Database. Both BlackBerry Enterprise Servers will be running at the same time. If one BlackBerry Enterprise Server goes down, all BlackBerry device users can be moved to the other working server but an additional SRP ID for the second BlackBerry Enterprise Server is required.
    <server A>= production server
    <server B>= failover server
    1. Set up <server A> and <server B> as standalone BlackBerry Enterprise Servers, sharing the same BlackBerry Configuration Database in Microsoft SQL Server. <server A> being the production server would have all the BlackBerry device user accounts. The shared BlackBerry Configuration Database allows both servers to be viewed through the BlackBerry Manager.
    2. Perform a one-way replication from each of the BlackBerry Enterprise Servers for the BlackBerry State Database folder. Do not replicate the BlackBerry User Profiles Database as this will cause the Profiles documents to duplicate.
    3. During a failover situation, in BlackBerry Manager, select a BlackBerry device user or multiple BlackBerry device users from <server A>. Click Account and select Move User to move the BlackBerry device user(s) to <server B>.
    4. Once the BlackBerry device user has been moved, the BlackBerry device user will be functional without having to reactivate the BlackBerry device. BlackBerry device users can be moved back to the other server using the same method when required.

Additional Info

Further information on Disaster Recovery can be found in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for IBM Lotus Domino Maintenance Guide for 4.0: http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8067
    /645045/7963/8164/729011/728120/Maintenance_Guide.pdf?nodeid=754498&vernum=0

Or the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for IBM Lotus Domino Disaster Recovery Guide for 4.1:
    http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8067/645045/
    7963/8164/1180256/1271018/Disaster_Recovery_Guide.pdf?nodeid=1292494&vernum= 0

PIN/ID
    ask

Procedure

Note: The Disaster Recovery Server and production server are never started at the same time.
    • Prepare a second server (Disaster Recovery Server) configured with the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange software prerequisites. Refer to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange Installation Guide for information on these prerequisites.
    • Verify all software on the Disaster Recovery Server is identical to the production server.
    • Install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server software on the Disaster Recovery Server.
    • Make sure the BlackBerry Services do not start at the end of the installation process.
    • If you are running a local Microsoft Data Engine (MSDE) / Microsoft SQL ServerTM or a backup Microsoft SQL Server, perform the following steps:
      1. Run the createdb.exe utility on the new MSDE/ Microsoft SQL Server to create a blank BESMgmt database. Refer to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange Installation Guide for information on this utility.
      2. Restore the latest backup of the production database onto the new MSDE/ Microsoft SQL server.
      3. Open the BlackBerry Server Configuration panel.
      4. On the Database Connectivity tab,select Change Database.
      5. Point the Disaster Recovery Server to the correct MSDE/ Microsoft SQL server and database.
    • If you are running a remote MSDE / Microsoft SQL server and that Microsoft SQL server is still running, perform the following steps:
      1. Open the BlackBerry Server Configuration panel.
      2. On the Database Connectivity tab,select Change Database.
      3. Point the Disaster Recovery Server to the correct MSDE/ Microsoft SQL server and database.
    • Disable the BlackBerry Services on the Disaster Recovery Server until it becomes necessary to switch over to this server.

PIN/ID
    ask

mjw
    PIN/ID
    249D663E

Hayden,

Thanks for the responses.. Options 2 is a definite... I have tested this.
    Oh and I omited the fact that we are using exchange for e-mail...

But because I have two servers with separate SRPs attached to one remote SQL the procedure for DR is not a options for me..( at this time)

I have already had the situation where my Main BES went down... so the question lies with the database...

Logically, all the information regarding the users and both servers are in the database .. since both servers are up and running so when I move users over it takes a minute but the SRP on the device changes and no reactivation is needed..

So if I have a backup of the database and restore it to a new instance of SQL that has been configured the same as the original... ( I ran the createdb.exe utility et al) then Change where BES2 is pointing for the database.. wouldn't that logically work??

Now I know none of the documents have this prodecure but it makes sense to me!!!!

mjw
    PIN/ID
    249D663E

Oh by the way... the reason I thought doing the backup and restore would work..

I just moved from MSDE on the BES to a remote SQL server... and That is what I did a backup and restore to the SQL ( of course I followed the BB documents) but it went off with a problem and none of the BB users were affected.