We are looking to install BES in a Lotus Notes shop. Do we need to ... Server Admins forum

chilito no está en línea Stack level 2

Does BES need a separate server?

Advertisement

We are looking to install BES in a Lotus Notes shop. Do we need to install it on a separate server or can it be installed on the same server as Notes? About 150 email users, 10 or so BB users. Machine is Dual quad core XEON 3.2 GHz with 4GB ram -- and just loafs all the time..... OS is Windows 2000 server SP4.

Don't plan on pushing Lotus apps, just email / calendar for now.

Thanks.
    --Bill--

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB
    It can run on the same box as domino, but not sure you want to have all your eggs in one basket

tombquick no está en línea Stack level 2

Depends on version - Enterprise or Professional

My understanding is that the Professional version is supported on top of the mail server. I know that the full Enterprise server is not. The support difference will only come into play if you need T-Support from RIM or you get passed to T-Support by your carrier's support network.

What that difference is that being an unsupported configuration you may get no further then that, meaning the support person may simply not provide any more help. In my experience that will not happen but it is a possibility. What I would expect to happen is that they will try to resolve but once it becomes unclear where the problem is (BES or Domino) they may not be able to continue to help.

Hope this helps.

Both good thoughts. Thanks. I'm always more comfortable when I can separate apps, but nice to know that if we need to, we can try them together. Not sure which way we'll go, but I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Thanks for the comments.

--Bill--

kiler0n no está en línea Stack level 1

Separate Server

If you have the server and licensing for an additional Domino server, I'd say put it on a different server. Domino console on a BES is busy, with only 15 users it might now be bad, but in the end it's nice to be able to troubleshoot them separately.

Looks like it's going to end up on a separate box. The boss has found a company that has a Blackberry appliance (lease) all set up on a separate computer, fully configured and ready to connect to our Lotus setup. They ship it to us, we plug it in, set a few configuration options, and it works -- or so they say.

Price seems reasonable at $250/month for 20 users, especially when they do all the work.... Can't get any easier than that I guess.

--Bill--