Good day everyone. Just curious on how other admins on what their Disaster Recovery setup ... Server Admins forum

flipnaman no está en línea Stack level 1

Disaster Recovery Options - Lotus Domino

Advertisement

Good day everyone.

Just curious on how other admins on what their Disaster Recovery setup are?

Another backup server up and running? Same SRP, domino running but BES down?

Another server running with different SRP?

What option has the least downtime for a business or cost effective?

Thanks in advance.

Nelson J.

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    You just reminded me that I need to add our BES to our backup sets! Thanks!

We only have one BES on a VM, not very redundant. But I am sure it would be better to have a backup, but no money for additonal server or BES lic.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

njected no está en línea Stack level 1
    We currently run BES on a VM, as well as the Exchange 2K3 on a VM, using vRanger Pro backup software. Tested recovery times are about an hour from SAN, 2 hours from LTO4 tape.

amazonka no está en línea Stack level 1

Post DR options for Domino BES

Hi,

Here's what we do: two physical BES servers each with it's own SRP in one BES domain, meaning both are connected to a same remote SQL server.

The rationale: Users can be moved from one server to another and activation process is managed by the server, so it's completely transparent to them. We can do OS or Domino upgrades/maintenance without impacting operations.

In the earlier days of BES 2.x we had a hardware failure on the server that caused a lot of grief and all the user' devices needed to be manually handled for activation. This was a great motivation for getting redundancy for the application and business agreed to purchase another SRP.

These days, speaking with RIM, they recommend a cold standby server with same SRP but shut down. I've heard of instances where fail over and recovery aren't so simple. In my opinion, if you can afford a second server (a VM would do!) and SPR cost then this is the way to go.

Good Luck!
    ~Amazonka~

banthon no está en línea Stack level 3
    Make sure to check the KNB on this !

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...covery&x=0&y=0

BBFixer no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by amazonka View Post
    Hi,

Here's what we do: two physical BES servers each with it's own SRP in one BES domain, meaning both are connected to a same remote SQL server.

The rationale: Users can be moved from one server to another and activation process is managed by the server, so it's completely transparent to them. We can do OS or Domino upgrades/maintenance without impacting operations.

In the earlier days of BES 2.x we had a hardware failure on the server that caused a lot of grief and all the user' devices needed to be manually handled for activation. This was a great motivation for getting redundancy for the application and business agreed to purchase another SRP.

These days, speaking with RIM, they recommend a cold standby server with same SRP but shut down. I've heard of instances where fail over and recovery aren't so simple. In my opinion, if you can afford a second server (a VM would do!) and SPR cost then this is the way to go.

Good Luck!

This is what we do. In addition, we have our user base split between the 2 servers. That way, there's not too much work moving them.

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB
    Quote Originally Posted by amazonka View Post
    Hi,

Good Luck!
    same here, using 3 BES with users spread out