Hello, I currently have 2 BES licenses on 2 different servers in our NY office. ... Server Admins forum

waiter no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Disaster Recovery of the BES server...

Advertisement

Hello, I currently have 2 BES licenses on 2 different servers in our NY office. I will be migrating all users to one server soon. I am looking to implement a best practice disaster recovery solution. I willl be moving one server to our CA office. Ideally, it would be great if one server could fail over to the other. But I am open to all ideas. Please share. Thanks, Richie

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Disaster Recovery of the BES server...

waiter, Welcome to PinStack.

Richie, I'm not a BES expert, but separating your servers is definitely one part of the standared Disaster recovery plans.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

jason1114 no está en línea Stack level 2

If you already have 2 licenses the best thing for you to do would be to put 1/2 your users on 1 BES and 1/2 on the other. Make sure they are in the same BB domain and sharing a sql DB. When one of your BES goes down you can move the affected users from one BES to the other and they would be all set.

wizkid1981 no está en línea BES Guru

Putting half your user on 1 server and half on the other is NOT a very smart failover solution. If one of those servers were to fail then half your users are down without any backup plan. If you want to provide an intelligent failover solution the follow RIM article KB04647 if you are currently running BES 4.0 or higher or follow KB05032 if running 3.6.

Basically what you are doing in a nutshell is having 2 boxes with a mirror image BES.

For example we'll say you currently have a 4.0.6 BES named BES1. What you would need to do is install the EXACT same version of BES on the new box. Be sure to give the BES server the same server name as your previous box **VERY IMPORTANT**

Then depending on what type of database you use you do the following.

1) Remote SQL - you simply point the new server to the database running the remote SQL server

2) local MSDE/SQL - you need to create a backup of the database from your old server and then restore it onto the new server (if using the ne server and it goes down then all you would need to do is create a backup from the new server, copy it to the failover server and restore it there) (follow RIM article KB03112 for proper commands)

Basically all you need to do is make sure you are constantly upgrading both at the sametime. If you decide to upgrade your new 4.0.6 server to 4.1.2 then do the same with the backup. If you've added 20 new users on the new server then make sure you copy thed database over to the old server to reflect those changes.

All you need to do havin an environment like this is keep the services on one server stopped. This way if you have a server down issue all you need to do is start the services on the failover server and your users don't notice anything other than a possible short 10 minutes delay during the time you started the failover server.

Hope that helps.

jason1114 no está en línea Stack level 2

Half your users would be down until you did a BlackBerry manager move from one BES to the other. Its part of ther recomendation from RIM thenseleves as a failover solution

That doesn't make sense as a failover solution.

As far as that being recommended by RIM, I highly doubt that or should I say know this for a fact

Neverfail no está en línea Stack level 1

My company Neverfail has a product that will allow you to deploy an active/passive BES cluster. Our software basically clones your existing BES onto a secondary server, which can be deployed locally or across a WAN. The secondary sever is a hot standby, and can take over automatically and transparently if the primary BES fails. Best of all, the Neverfail for BlackBerry solution is priced for the small and mid-size market.

You can search "Neverfail" in the Blackberry Solutions Guide, or go to the Neverfail for BlackBerry page on the Neverfail website at www dot neverfailgroup dot com. This product has been deployed in hundreds of locations around the world.

PM me if you'd like more information.

Very interesting indeed!!

BES_SE no está en línea Stack level 1

I am currently implementing a BES failover scenario, using the Disaster Recovery Guide (for Exchange) from Blackberry. The outline is similar to what wizkid1981 suggested, however there is transactional database replication and snapshots between the primary and stand by servers and not just a database recovery (only possible if using full SQL - not MSDE). The servers are required to be installed using the same SRP identifier (the stand by instance remains without services enabled to ensure that two servers are not using the same SRP at RIM, else they will be deactivated) and the same BES server name (the physical machine name is independent).

Best to check out the BES documentation.... Search the Support section on Blackberry website for "Disaster Recovery" and you will find the docs.