I'm trying to find out about device encryption when not apart of a BES IT ... Server Admins forum

Optyx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21CD6654

device encryption and BES IT Policy

Advertisement

I'm trying to find out about device encryption when not apart of a BES IT Policy. Now in the IT policy can you enforce member devices being encrypted? And if not in the it policy and the device is encrypted is the password or key or any info logged by the BES Server? Thanks for reading hopefully there is an answer to this.

Aaron Davis

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Can you specify what you are wanting to encrypt, the device memory or communications to and from the device.

That should help.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Optyx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21CD6654
    I'm concerned with encryption of the data on the device in a BES.

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    The only thing that I can think of that you would be able to see is if you have any auditing in place, such as Email, phone call log, and sms logs. All that is stored in the clear... But all data relayed to and from the device is encrypted, so is data on the device.

hope that answers your question.
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

Medic no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    The device uses an ecryption algorithm called ECC (Elliptic Curve Cryptography)

Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) is emerging as an attractive public-key cryptosystem for mobile/wireless environments. Compared to traditional cryptosystems like RSA, ECC offers equivalent security with smaller key sizes, which results in faster computations, lower power consumption, as well as memory and bandwidth savings. This is especially useful for mobile devices which are typically limited in terms of their CPU, power and network connectivity. However, the true impact of any public-key cryptosystem can only be evaluated in the context of a security protocol. This presents a first estimate of the performance improvements that can be expected in SSL (Secure Socket Layer), the dominant security protocol on the Web today, by adding ECC support.

That being said here is exactly what the device operates at when content protection is enabled.

Strong: 160 Bit ECC

Stronger: 283 Bit ECC

Strongest: 571 Bit ECC

I hope that helps you out.
    Sorrow is tranquility remembered in emotion.

markgallant no está en línea Stack level 3
    In all honesty content protections can cause a lot of problems on the blackberry device. It would be best just to force a password to the device that way if someone obtains the device they cannot access the device without the password and after a certain number of attempts (Which you can Specify) the device will be completely wiped of all containing data.