Hi I have what I hope is a simple question. I have a requirement to ... Server Admins forum

BESnms no está en línea Stack level 1

Development Advice

Advertisement

Hi
    I have what I hope is a simple question. I have a requirement to link about 100 of our 300 users to a spreadsheet which will contain live information on contact details for business continuity. The spreadsheet will be updated daily. First thought is whether we could add an Icon to the users desktop (through policy management if possible) which would take them directly to the spreadsheet (stored on the BES?).
    Happy to entertain any other solutions but required outcome is to provide access to emergency contact info (preferable in excel format) which the users can view and then possible email or phone directly from the information in the spreadsheet.

Any advice or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

BES is 4.0.32. Community of about 300 mixed handset type users.

Many thanks
    Barry
    Last edited by BESnms; 09-26-2007 at 07:21 AM.

calvin413 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24218EA5
    my initial question would be "why a spreadsheet?", for is it not possible that this data that is to be updated daily might find a more client-friendly forma? Is there not the opportunity to create a sync'd global contact list with a local copy?

I would be looking for a better solution than a spreadsheet, although I am Pro MS, I believe there is a higher level solution to be had.

BESnms no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Development Advice

Problem being the data will change daily. For example the emergency contact for Monday will be Mr Bloggs, Tuesday will be Mr Smith. This will be replicated for each of our areas. In this way someone can look up the emergency contact for say Wednesday for the Kent Region. Additionally the data may be updated daily and Excel is well used within the business. It is thereby not only a simple contacts list, but also has "calendaring" included. This is why we felt it best to provide it in as simple interface (MS Excel) well know to our user base.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Couldn't this list be emailed daily? I know it seems rather simple but wouldn't that be doing what you want?

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

Why a spreadsheet? I know that has been asked before but it needs repeating. Why a spreadsheet?

We have stuff like this that is updated every five minutes. We just have an HTML page created that people can get to on their blackberries and voila problem solved.

ibanyan no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24222F96

I would suggest creating a BlackBerry Channel. A Channel consist of 2 icons (a read and an unread icon) plus a web page. Commands sent to the BES tells it to grab the icons and page and push them into the browser cache.

The book "Professional BlackBerry" explains how to to this in great detail and even offers sample pages, icons, and scripts.

I echo the others suggestion to use HTML (or XHTML) and the added benefit is that it stays in device cache so it can be viewed no matter if you are in or out of coverage, or whether your BES is up or down.

Great BCM solution.
    Craig Johnston
    --------------
    My book "Professional BlackBerry":
    http://tinyurl.com/gyqvz
    Mobile Computing Authority Podcast:
    http://mca.libsyn.com

MagicDev no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by BESnms
    Hi
    I have what I hope is a simple question. I have a requirement to link about 100 of our 300 users to a spreadsheet which will contain live information on contact details for business continuity. The spreadsheet will be updated daily. First thought is whether we could add an Icon to the users desktop (through policy management if possible) which would take them directly to the spreadsheet (stored on the BES?).
    Happy to entertain any other solutions but required outcome is to provide access to emergency contact info (preferable in excel format) which the users can view and then possible email or phone directly from the information in the spreadsheet.

Any advice or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

BES is 4.0.32. Community of about 300 mixed handset type users.

Many thanks
    Barry
    Hello,
    we might have a perfect solution for you.

Please send us an e-mail at support@link-two.com and we will contact you.

Thank you so much!

The Link-Two Team