Okay here's a question that I think I already know the answer to. I'm writing ... Server Admins forum

orcberg no está en línea Stack level 2

Determining PIN via browser

Advertisement

Okay here's a question that I think I already know the answer to. I'm writing a web application (in PHP) to give customized home pages to users on our BES. The easiest way I can think to do this is via their device PIN. The problem is how do I pass this to the script?

In my IT policy, I have the browser home page set to read-only and I want to specify a single page for all users (i.e., http://domain/app.php). When they go to that link, I want the script to be able to determine which device it is (grab the PIN) and put it against a database to determine who it is. Once it's done that, it populates their own page.

I can't seem to figure out how to get the PIN though. It doesn't appear to be relayed in anything I thought to check (like the HTTP heading). Any ideas if this is possible, or if there's a better way?

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Determining PIN via browser

i have no idea. but, the dm software pulls it, so it must be pullable, right? if you got programming skills, you can reverse engineer the dm software and see where it comes from. good luck!

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Post Re: Determining PIN via browser

I'm not sure if this answers all of your questions but refer to this article on the BB developers section of the BB website. You may have to do some configuring to get the PIN and email address to be accessible.

How To - Retrieve information about the BlackBerry Browser

Last Updated: 11 July 2006

Article Number: DB-00435

Summary

This article applies to BlackBerry® devices based on Java™.

Background

BlackBerry Browser users can be identified both generically and uniquely. When making a request to a web server, the User-Agent header is used to determine if a BlackBerry Browser is accessing a web page. The following examples demonstrate how the User-Agent can appear:

orcberg no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Determining PIN via browser

Okay, so I made the change in the \MDS\Servers\(server_name)\config\rimpublic.proper ty file by adding the section below:

Code:
    [HTTP HANDLER]
    application.handler.http.logging=true
    application.handler.http.header=email,pin
    This works perfect. I had to restart the Connection Service through BlackBerry Manager and then resend IT Policy. Once I did that, through the BlackBerry browser on the device, it now passes the information.

Referenced in PHP with $_SERVER['HTTP_RIM_DEVICE_ID'].

Thanks for the help!