I work in a small company and my coworkers use Treos to connect via imap4 ... Server Admins forum

dwc
    dwc no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Considering move from BIS to BES. Seems to be massive overhead...

Advertisement

I work in a small company and my coworkers use Treos to connect via imap4 to the exchange server. Originally I thought the 8100 could do the same...

Since then I have configured BIS email and use rules&redirection to clone mail to my BB.

I have also downloaded and licensed the free "single user" BES server. I can install this and point it at our exchange server and be the admin of it if I choose.

So...

I am trying to understand the scope of work involved in configuring BES and whether it is going to be an overall improvement to move to BES after I get it set up and installed.

For instance:
    1. Will I be forced to now use my companies internet connection? I.E will my point of origin now be placed inside my companies firewall? This seems like it will slow all internet operations down by adding a whole lot of extra hops. Can I bypass that when desired and use the direct tmobile access I have now? (edit: depends on browser used? what about IM clients?)

2. Are many functions on my BB going to "shut off" because the default BES policy on install is to lock everything down? Or is the default policy an open one and thus I will not see a major impact on services? (What is default IT policy?)

3. Will I still be able to get email from Yahoo and my other pop accounts like I can now with t-mobile BIS? (edit: pretty sure this won't change)

I really just want to enable live Exchange synch. I don't want to impose total corporate control and lockdown on myself I mean it's just me and not an army of people I don't trust.

I hope you guys can see what I am asking. The more I read about BES the more I learn about how it controls folk's Blackberries, and prevents new apps being installed, etc. I don't want to install BES and find out I have to dig my way out of a lot of new default restrictions.

Thanks for all info,
    Dan

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

Re: Considering move from BIS to BES. Seems to be massive overhead...

1. Your point of origin is your service providers network. The BlackBerry doesn't talk to the BES - BlackBerry is a push email solution. The BES pushes the email to the BlackBerry Network, it looks in a database to find out if it knows where your device is and sends it out to the carriers network that it was last seen on.

2. The default policy is open - and it's editable so you can alter it if you want. The idea of policies is corporate management. If you're the only person on the BES and you're the BES admin then the best way to make sure you don't lose any features on your BlackBerry is not to disable them in the security policy.

3. Yes - as long as you've got an Enterprise Plus Service.

dwc

Thanks for the reply and information.

Regarding the network point of origin, I have read though that folks with BES can view intranet websites and use an SSH/Telnet client to talk to servers inside their corporate firewall, and this is possible because they are somehow "originating" inside their network.

Can you clarify that?

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

That's MDS - a feature of the BES. Mobile Data Services. You can set MDS up to give BlackBerrys access to service on your corporate network.

dwc

Thanks again. I was wondering if I would want to set up MDS if I didn't have any specific "apps" I needed to serve. But just allowing access to shell accounts is useful in and of itself.

-Dan

hpitta no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2048a3d4

How can i change from BES to BIS?
    I move from BIS to BES easy, but i dont know can i do the reverse.

Regards.

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

1. The default IT Policies (what those restrictions are called in BES) default to WIDE O-P-E-N. So you are fine.

2. the traffic passes roughly the same hops on BIS as is does on BES:
    [BB Handheld] <--> [Carrier Network] <--> [Research in Motion's NOC] <--> [your email server]

The RIM NOC will just now talk directly to BES on Exchange rather than to IMAP on Exchange. Traffic is mostly Text and XML. We;re talking about 0.5MB to 5MB per month for many single email users. So this is fine even with dinky 256k or 512 leased lines (though you probably have better dedicated internet service than that).

It's going to relaly be an inconsequently traffic difference for BES compared to BIS using IMAP.

I aren't going to "accidentally" invoke a lot of MDS traffiic to your BES/Exchange server. Other than the browser, nothing is enabled by default (you need to configure/install/program MDS applications. Nothing really gets installed by default. Don't even worry about this.)

Unless you have ISP-side SPAM filtering, you're probably wasting more bandwidth rejecting spam on your network than BES traffic will ever produce for your single handheld. So don't worry about the additional traffic load. I don't even notice it with 16 handhelds.

3. Installation of BES is pretty simple. Just read the Admin guides and ask questions here if you get stuck or confused.

4. Yes, you can have BES/BIS side-by-side. I have that.
    .. BES retreives my corporate email (IBM Lotus Notes and Domino)
    .. BIS retreives my personal email (hotmail, yahoo, gmail, and my ISP's account)

I'd do it. The BES experience is much better.
    Last edited by Aroc; 07-19-2007 at 10:46 PM.

ssullivan8130 no está en línea Stack level 2

My BES seems to be directing my internet traffice out our corp internet connection. Reason I say this is we use websence and it is blocking me from YouTube, and I get the websence message.