Hi, I am using BES 4.1 on Exchange with 20 Pearl users. One of these ... Server Admins forum

mojo1979 no está en línea Stack level 1

Changing Pearl Handset in BES

Advertisement

Hi,

I am using BES 4.1 on Exchange with 20 Pearl users. One of these users is having problems with the handset so I want to give him a new one. What is the procedure for swapping handsets?

Thanks in advance!

Steven

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Changing Pearl Handset in BES

I recommend wiping the device, even if it's brand new, before doing this.

If the user doesn't have data that isn't backed up by the BES, you can simply send them a new Enterprise Activation password (I strongly suggest something simple, all lower case letters - especially with a reduced keyboard device like the Pearl). The user would then just go into ( Settings/Tools --> ) Options --> Advanced Options --> Enterprise Activation, enter their email address and the password you sent, Click the wheel/menu button and select Activate. The old device's settings will be restored, but things like custom ring tones and pictures will NOT be restored.

If you want to seamlessly migrate the user and you can do this on a computer that has a network connection to both your BES and Exchange servers and Outlook set up for the user, you can install Desktop Manager on their computer. Run Desktop Manager so it "finds" the user's BES account. At this point you have two options:
    1. Simply plug in the new device. DM will see that the device is new device and ask if you want to change from the old PIN to the new PIN. Select Yes, and the new device will set itself up - complete with an Enterprise Activation - automatically.
    2. Run the Switch Device Wizard from Desktop Manager and follow the prompts.
    I prefer the first method as the second method leaves the device with two Mailbox folders - one which is a copy of the one from the old device (and not really used going forward), and the active Mailbox folder. However, the second method would insure that the new device will be identical (except for the PIN and noted folder anomaly) to the original.
    JerryD

Thanks for the reply.

So in the Blackberry Manager I would assign the new device to the user, and this would automatically 'de-assign' the old device atached to that user?

Short answer - yes.

Assuming a computer connected to the same network as your Exchange and BES servers with Outlook set up for the user, when Desktop Manager runs, it will ask which Outlook Profile to use. Once you select the correct profile, Desktop Manager will automatically populate the email settings. In fact, if you go into the Email Settings, you'll find the current PIN is already assigned. It gets this information from the network connection to the BES.

If you don't need to do a backup of the old device, when you plug in the new device, DM will ask if you want to associate the new PIN to the configuration it has for the old PIN, automatically reassign the new PIN to the BES account, and perform an Enterprise Activation automatically - no EA password required.
    JerryD

Do I have to use Desktop manager? Can I not just use Blackberry manager on the BES 4.1?

No, you can do it OTA as I originally posted or with Desktop Manager.

I have no idea what "Blackberry manager" is. If you mean the RIM Device Manager / BlackBerry Device Manager, no. You need the association (authentication) between the email account and the BlackBerry which only Desktop Manager can do.
    JerryD

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You don't even need to assign the device. You just need a new EA password or the BB needs to be synced via USB to kick off EA.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

To swap users to new phones, I just find the user in BES and set a new activation password and make the phone do an enterprise activation again. BES will make the swap.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~