Here's my situation: User A and User B both have Exchange email accounts that are ... Server Admins forum

Akwatic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    402F57CA

Can you swap or replace a user in BES?

Advertisement

Here's my situation:

User A and User B both have Exchange email accounts that are tied into our BES Server. They each have their email synchronized on their individual handhelds (7100i Nextels).

User A leaves the company. User A's exchange account and BES setup remain.

User B drops his phone in the water and messes it up. He takes out the SIM card and puts it in User A's 7100i. Phone #, walkie talkie, etc transfer. He then restores a backup to User A's Blackberry to update his contacts, calendar, etc.

So now User B has his contacts, calendar, messages, phone #, etc all tied into User A's Blackberry. The only thing not tied in is his email as that is still set in the BES Server to his old (water damaged) Blackberry.

I know I could plug his "new" Blackberry into our BES Server and reload the user and setup email reconciliation and synchronization, but he is off site and in another state. Is there any way to do this remotely? Either swapping which PIN is tied to which Exchange account, or simply getting rid of one Exchange account and being able to switch the PIN assigned in the BES setup?

My advice to the user is to install the desktop software on his own computer, make sure he can connect his Outlook to the exchange server (tying the computer's default email profile to his exchange account) and then try plugging in his "new" Blackberry and hoping he gets the message:

"Desktop software is currently configured for use on device (PIN#1OLD), would you like to switch to device (PIN#2NEW)?" or whatever the exact wording is

Is that my best bet? Should that work? Hopefully I won't have to get him to overnight me his phone so I can do a 5 minute install and then overnight it back to him. Thanks in advance.

KeNNethX no está en línea Stack level 3
    I would have him security wipe it and wireless enterprise activation...why would you use Desktop Manager when wireless activation is so solid? What version of BES are you running?
    Last edited by KeNNethX; 06-24-2008 at 01:46 PM.
    When in Doubt, Pop the Battery Out!

PIN/ID
    402F57CA
    BES 3.6.3.8

very old I know

This did the trick though...I had him connect to the VPN and verify he could access his Exchange account through Outlook...I then had him go into the Desktop Manager and then Options and Profile Settings...all he had to do was change it from Prompt for Profile to Always Use the MS Exchange settings

He then got a Server Status: Online in the bottom left of Desktop Manager and it asked him if he wanted to associate with the new PIN#... shortly after I looked on the BES config screen and his PIN had changed, and the old (User A) user no longer had a PIN associated with it

So I'm good to go, thanks

I do need to see about wireless activation, but we only have about 10 people with BBs and I usually order their phone, pick it up, synch our company calendar and contacts list, plug into BES server to activate email synch, and then FedEx it overnight to wherever the person is working...kind of tedious but it works

KeNNethX no está en línea Stack level 3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Akwatic View Post
    BES 3.6.3.8
    Yeah? Wow. Yeah, RIM doesn't even support 4.0 anymore. You will find that with 4.1.5...the BES backs up and restores almost everything via Wireless Activation....with 4.0 it was a little but not nearly as much as now. I can't vouch for 3.6 I easily swap out people's BBs remotely via wireless activation all the time. It was not nearly as smooth before 4.1. The only thing missing now is emails...with handheld OS 4.5...emails can be added back to the BB via a remote search...I have it and it works great...as does HTML via our BES.

You should pay for that upgrade!
    When in Doubt, Pop the Battery Out!

PIN/ID
    402F57CA
    Sweet it sounds like it will be worth it

markgallant no está en línea Stack level 3
    You don't have a choice but to have him reactivate the device. He needs to plug it in and activate it in order for email redirection to work. The BES is still looking at the old PIN number and not his new PIN