Howdy BES admins, I'm curious how you all feel about BlackBerrys with digital cameras like ... Server Admins forum

AZA43 no está en línea Stack level 2

Question BlackBerrys with Digital Cameras: A Problem for IT or Non-Issue?

Advertisement

Howdy BES admins,

I'm curious how you all feel about BlackBerrys with digital cameras like the Pearl or Curve as opposed to the 8800 series devices, which don't have cameras. Do you all care if your users have BlackBerrys with cameras?

This post points out a number of reasons why companies might not want devices with cameras, why they might and a few ways that IT departments disable such cameras--besides painting over the lenses.

What do you think? Does the security risk out weigh the potential benefits to business users?

AZA

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Doubt it necessarily has to do with the BES admins as much as it does the internal company security/management team.

Or

If you are an attorney and can't have a camera in the courthouse, but they see your curve, how many of the guards there are going to understand what you are talking about when you say it's disabled by your IT Policy through the BES at work?

saukrateaz no está en línea Stack level 3
    I can see where they could be considered a security risk in certain environments and think they should be banned or disabled in those areas. The security policies should be no different than with any other phone with a camera though and almost every phone comes with one now.
    "When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."
    -George Washington Carver

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro
    Well a new patent from RIM locks down the camera with a key.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

saukrateaz no está en línea Stack level 3
    Locking it at the server level will be more efficiant. Soon after that key thing launches they will be selling them on ebay. In my opinion
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

bsteenkamp no está en línea Stack level 1
    Our consultants all work with major Pharma companies, where a camera-phone or device is not allowed. That being said, some of them still have the Pearl and we don't lock the camera down. Haven't heard of any issues yet.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    A Bes admin can disable the camera with out even toucging the phone, just like they can disable browsing. So the Key idea is more for the companies with out BES, or another way to make it "Sound" more secure. Nothing is More secure then a Properly Run BES, if i see the key, I can make one, that is no security at all. And saukrateaz is right about Ebay for sure
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

untjoker no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB View Post
    Doubt it necessarily has to do with the BES admins as much as it does the internal company security/management team.

Or

If you are an attorney and can't have a camera in the courthouse, but they see your curve, how many of the guards there are going to understand what you are talking about when you say it's disabled by your IT Policy through the BES at work?
    Exactly. We in IT could care less if you have a camera or not. It's security (physical, not IT) and the like who get bent out of shape about a camera. Usually it's only a concern for government level jobs or corporations with trade secrets and the like who are concerned the most about a camera on a cell phone.
    Yes, I've been diagnosed with Phantom Vibration Disorder.....