Hi, We have now switched from 4.0 to 4.1 BES couple months ago.Everything is working ... Server Admins forum

Bhaskar_K no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile blackberry role based administration

Advertisement

Hi,

We have now switched from 4.0 to 4.1 BES couple months ago.Everything is working fine.
    we are trying to implement new feature in 4.1 which role based administration in our company.
    we just want to ensure that our helpdesk staff will have sufficient rights to do only user management.
    We added heldesk users to Senior Help Desk group (rim_db_admin_sr_helpdesk),but when they logon remotely to BES and open blackberry manager,getting MAPI errors.Is there anything else needs to be done apart from adding user to this group.(e.g. any specific rights to be given).
    Last edited by Bhaskar_K; 01-22-2007 at 03:24 AM.

wizkid1981 no está en línea BES Guru

Re: blackberry role based administration

Make sure all users that you want to have remote rights have MDAC 2.8 installed on the machine they are going to use BlackBerry Manager from.

Also check out the following RIM articles:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...%200%201693736

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...%200%201693798

Let me know if this helps.

Thx for the reply Wizkid,
    I have gone thr the links provided by you,but actually we are using BES 4.1 with exchange 2003
    so I went thr KB04889,but it just specify what each role does ,which we already know.

Also tried installing MDAC 2.8 on client Pc ,but still same problem persists.

We are not facing any problem with user activation or blackberry working as such,but only when helpdesk try to connect it gives MAPI error.

Please advise.

miles_troope no está en línea Stack level 3

I thought role admin feature was used when you are using Blackberry Manager installed on admins pc's. If they log dirrectly into the server as themselves and try to run BB manager then it won't work.

You need to install BB manager on theri machines.

How do I install only BB manager on Admin's PC without installing BES?
    I am sorry but this not clear.

Do you mean copy the bbmgrw32.exe on admin's PC?then what about the config and supporting files to BB manager.

miles_troope no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaskar_K
    How do I install only BB manager on Admin's PC without installing BES?
    I am sorry but this not clear.

Do you mean copy the bbmgrw32.exe on admin's PC?then what about the config and supporting files to BB manager.
    I'm sure there's other ways, but when you run the BES install CD or download, the install gives you various options to pick from at the start. BES with mds, bes no mds, etc...

Amongst this is the option to install BB manager. Pick this and run through the install..

Incidentally if you were wanting to remotely install BES components, liek the attachment servce etc.. yo udo it the same way...

Hope this helps. Sorry it's brief, pretty busy at the mo..

jrbes no está en línea Stack level 1

If you have the software on a shared drive the folks you are going to load it on can pull it from there as well.
    In case of Emergency, PIN me.

Guys thx for the help so far
    Installing only bes manager is possible as "miles_troop" said.And it has to be installed on the PC of helpdesk person ,not on the server.
    I did that on my machine,gave the name of the remote SQL server at the time of the installation.Now the starnge thing is I am not getting any MAPI errors as i used to get,some options like starting services are also blocked(Which is what i wanted),but the problem is I am not able to activate users.I am getting "contact system administrator" error on the devices which I have added thr this new role.
    Also 1 more imp point is that whenever I delete users thr this role,it is taking ages to go from "users pending delete"

Success atlast,tried restarting the services and problem got resolved.