Hello all, My company is revisiting its policy on who is eligible for a Blackberry ... Server Admins forum

bbhealth no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry policy and phone availablitly. Please share

Advertisement

Hello all,

My company is revisiting its policy on who is eligible for a Blackberry and who gets data only or data and a phone. We would like to see what others in the industry are doing. Please share your written or implied policy. Please reply in forum or email me. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by bbhealth; 07-16-2007 at 01:59 PM.

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Re: Blackberry policy and phone availablitly. Please share

This is a tough one to answer because of all of the variables. Can I ask you a few questions? A better understanding of what your company does now will help others to make replys to your post.

For those who currently use BlackBerry devices, does the company provide them, or does each person buy their own?

Does your company have a volume discount rate plan with your service provider?

If a device needs to be repaired or replaced, who pays the expense?

Are the existing devices to be strictly used for business only?

The company currently buys the device with unlimited data for anyone who is approved to receive a Blackberry. Voice is not allowed. Blackberrys are for corporate mail and applications only.

We have no standard policy for who can have one so right now it is up to the person's immediatemanagement. We are looking to introduce voice into the mix and because of the costs involved, the company would like to set up a global policy on who really needs a Blackberry. Maybe it is spending more than x amount of hours traveling or it could be directors and above.

We are trying find out what others are doing when the company absorbs the cost either through direct payment or reimbursement. Hope this enough info to get some feedback. Thank you all who respond.
    Last edited by bbhealth; 07-16-2007 at 08:51 PM.

Crewdawg257 no está en línea BES Pro

We have no official policy either. We usually decide on a case by case basis. The immeditate manager, myslef (IT Manager), and the Chairman of the Board all decide together. I hope to develop a written policy on the use of any smartphone.

I am also looking at consolidating handsets and providers.
    --
    I suspect that Microsoft Access is nothing but Microsoft Excel with a VBScript wrapper.
    - Unknown

N1tr0u543 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32c87f57

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I'm 16 yrs old and do not know much about buisiness life but I do have a suggestion. Since the blackberrys aren't for personal use, then lend them out. Set up bb messenger on all of them for intermediate communications and record the bb pins on a chart to know who's got which one. As far as the email goes, set up the email names as buisiness1@bb.com and buisiness2@bb.com and etc. Or you may consider a 3rd party app such as gmail. Hope this has been helpful.

ThrillSeekerGBB no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    328EB80A
    In our organization you either get a AT&T cellphone or an 8703e from Sprint. BB users get both unlimited voice & data plan. BB users are typically Level 1 key staff members that provide support to our citizen base in the event of emergencies. Also their daily tasks require them to use email & data related services to effectively complete their assignments.

Tim_W no está en línea Stack level 2

In my company you have to complete a cell phone request form and get your Dept Manager's approval signature. Once I get this, I place the order. Upon arrival, I configure the device to the BES and the end users picks up the phone from the IT Dept. If there is a defective BB and it is still under warranty, I just get a new one per our warranty agreement with the cell phone provider. If it is out of warranty, we have an agreed upon price that we pay thru our cell phone provider. Use your purchasing leverage with the cell phone provider to ensure you are getting the best deal for new & replacement devices.
    In the beginning, it was only Directors & above but now it really depends on your job description and how often you travel for the company. We are actually looking at getting rid of all the desktop phones and going mobile.

DoubleM no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

At my organization, we purchase our own devices, at our own expense. It works out great as we all have certain device preferences. Regional management & above are added to the corporate BES. We are provided a reimbursement allowance allowing us to select the appropriate voice and data plan. It works for all parties involved. We use our devices according to our needs (personal & professional). The organization can better forecast and budget for such expeditures.

lansens no está en línea Stack level 1

My Company issues to sales, IT, directors and above. We supply the device and service at no cost to the employee and allow personal use. IT and partners recieve the 8830 and everyone else recieves 8703. Partners always get the +1.

Thank you all for your replies