Hi, I have recently purchased a piece of software that can monitor applications on my ... Server Admins forum

andykel no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry Essential Services

Advertisement

Hi,

I have recently purchased a piece of software that can monitor applications on my Servers and notify me when core apps go down. When i look on the Blackberry server, i have the following processes relating to Blackberry running:

BlackberryDispatcher.exe
    BlackberryController.exe
    BBAttachServer.exe
    BBConvert.exe
    BESAlert.exe
    BlackberryRouter.exe
    BlackberrySyncServer.exe
    BlackberryAgent.exe

So that i only monitor the Core services, could anyone tell me which of the above if not all are vital for the Blackberry service to run correctly. In other word, which of the above, if stopped, would prevent Blackberry from simply pushing out e-mails.

Many Thanks

Andy

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

Re: Blackberry Essential Services

Well if anything you will want to monitor the database consistency, mobile data service, policy, router and sync server services. It wouldn't hurt to monitor all bb services.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

jhabid no está en línea Stack level 1
    Router, and the sync server. But you will be better off monitoring the 8 services.

archaic0 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    240136D8

Re: Blackberry Essential Services

You might check with your monitoring application people to see if they have a particular suggestion.

The reson I ask is because with one application that we used (ip monitor 8.5) there were some built-in monitors that didn't just watch services but tested function. Like there is a built-in Domain Controller check and a built-in Exchange check. These checks actually log in and try to achieve some things so you know if the entire process is working.

For as popular as BES is, you'd think such a check would be around for BES too.

In the mean time, just checking to see if the Controller and Router are working is a broad stroke. But depending on the problem, any one of the other services could fail.

What might be better is to see if the BES software provides any SNMP variables that you can query to check for status. Like even a forwarded message count should be enough to build a monitor on. If the forwarded message count is rising, then BES is still working. If it's stale for too long, then something may be wrong.