Simplified Device Deployment for IT Wireless "cradle-less" provisioning Users can securely self-provision, directly from their ... Server Admins forum
BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) in brief
Simplified Device Deployment for IT
Improved Wireless Security
- Wireless "cradle-less" provisioning
- Users can securely self-provision, directly from their BlackBerry device.
- BlackBerry Desktop Manager no longer needs to be installed on the users' desktops.
- Handheld Configuration Tool
- IT Administrators will be able to load device software and user data for multiple users simultaneously from a central location.
- Application Loader
- The new separate Application Loader will provide device software upgrades to user computers from a central location.
Simplified Management and Tracking
- Two transport encryption options
- Choose either Triple DES or AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) to encrypt messages and data.
- Content protection
- Local encryption of all data (messages, address book entries, calendar entries, memos and tasks) can be enforced via IT policy.
- Password Keeper
- The Password Keeper securely stores password entries on the device (e.g. banking passwords, PINs, etc.) using AES encryption technology.
- Wireless encryption key regeneration
- Users can regenerate Triple DES encryption keys directly from their device.
Improved Corporate Data Access
- Increased IT control of BlackBerry devices
- Device manageability improvements will allow IT Administrators to better track and manage key statistics of deployed devices.
- IT Administrators will have the ability to specify which applications are required, allowed and prohibited; required applications are pushed to the device and installed wirelessly.
- Choose from dozens of IT policies that can be immediately pushed wirelessly to the users' devices.
- Smart monitoring tools
- Independent software processes monitor the BES and all its components. If an operation fails, these processes will automatically detect faults and restart the appropriate functions.
- Seamless user moves between BlackBerry Enterprise Servers
- Users are no longer required to connect their devices to their computer if IT moves them from one BlackBerry Enterprise Server to another.
Completely Wireless User Experience
- Improved extensibility
- New development tools accelerate the creation of richer and more dynamic applications.
- Simplified web filters
- IT Administrators can use normal web filtering rules for external URLS, and also allow users to access the corporate intranet.
- Increased control of application data
- IT Administrators can control users' access to content via both push and pull models.
- Improved offline form submission
Application Enhancements - Now Even Easier to Use
- Two-way wireless synchronization of email and organizer information
- Users can now enjoy complete wireless synchronization of read/unread status, sent items and filing of messages.
- Users can remotely control settings directly from their device
- Users can wirelessly set and manage their out-of-office auto-reply, change email filters and update their auto-signature.
- Wireless Provisioning
- Users can quickly and securely activate their devices wirelessly so they can start using BlackBerry even faster.
General Improvements - Making BlackBerry Even Better
- Enhanced attachment viewing
- Image support (JPG, BMP, GIF, PNG and TIFF) with image manipulation controls (Pan, Zoom and Rotate).
- Ability to view footnotes and tracked changes.
- Enriched BlackBerry Browser experience
- Phone enhancements
- A to Z speed dialing and an improved user interface.
- Improved call handling options when device is locked.
- Calendar and task enhancements
- Accept appointments tentatively, with or without comments, and get notified of meeting conflicts.
- Users can create recurring tasks and set a reminder date and time.
- Global Search
- Users can simultaneously search the Address Book, Calendar, MemoPad, Tasks and Messages applications.
- On-device help
- Application specific support information is now available on the device.
- Pictures Application
- Users can download a variety of image formats (JPG, GIF, WBMP and PNG) to the device, simply by clicking on any image attached to an email and saving it to the device. The picture is accessible from the 'Pictures' icon on their main menu.
- Support for additional Address Book fields
- Users can make use of additional phone number fields, home and work addresses and a URL.
- Sent Item synchronization
- Messages sent from the user's email client can now be sent to their device as a Sent Item.
- Application Delete
- Users can delete installed applications from their device, similarly to how they do so on their PC using Application Loader.
- User adjustable backlight timeout
- Users may specify a desired backlight timeout between 10 - 60 seconds.
- Reconcile Now
- Users can trigger wireless email reconciliation even if no changes have been made on the device.
- Profiles improvements
- A context-sensitive icon will be displayed on the Home Screen to let the user know which Profile is active.
Tags for this Thread