One of the Tech Support folks in one of my Web Training Classes with a ... Server Admins forum

mtrautschold no está en línea Stack level 2

BlackBerry Desktop Software Not Installed in BES Environment

Advertisement

One of the Tech Support folks in one of my Web Training Classes with a BES 4.0 environment with 400+ BlackBerries has run into this issue:

- Since they have full wireless calendar & contacts sync with BES, they recommend users not to install the BlackBerry Desktop Manager

- However when users plug their BlackBerries into their USB ports for charging, then they get the Windows popup / Found New Hardware wizard.

Any ideas for solving this (short of just installing Desktop Manager)?

Thanks,
    Martin
    www.blackberrymadesimple.com

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: BlackBerry Desktop Software Not Installed in BES Environment

I would recommend running the Desktop manager. Just be sure to have them select "Blackberry Enterprise Server" Desktop install when loading. Best to have the IT do it, which is what they are probably running away from.

Therefore, in windows XP once a device isn't installed properly you can select at the end of the wizard... 'Do not lauch hardware wizard for hardware again'. Once you check that box you'll be fine. The only other option is to disable from the Hardware 'Device Manager' in windows.

If anyone has any other solutions please share.

Ook
    Ook no está en línea Stack level 2

You can also (manually or using a loginscript or such) provide your OS with the Blackberry drivers only. I think they're the same for all models and when the 'new hardware' screen is shown, it will find a match when these drivers are used. Your Blackberry will then be properly recognized/installed within Windows and it will charge from your PC, but that's it. We currently use this in our company and don't install the actual Desktop Manager anymore; people can only use the PC to charge it, nothing more.

I manually copied the drivers (23KB) from the extracted desktop manager MSI file, but I can share if needed. Please let me know.
    Last edited by Ook; 10-28-2005 at 03:42 PM.

mtrautschold no está en línea Stack level 2

Hayden and Ook,

Thank you for your responses. I'll give those a try and let you know how they go.

Ook,
    Could you please email me the drivers and any special installation instructions to : martin@blackberrymadesimple.com -

Thanks!
    Martin

gwgaston no está en línea Stack level 1

Either load the Desktop Manager and have it not run at startup or just load the drivers... I pulled them off here:

http://webpages.charter.net/gwgaston/BBTools.html

Gerald W. Gaston

hannahbell no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3012c397

better late than never

Hi there - we do not provide Desktop Manager to our users, primarily to prevent support issues and to maintain full BES control. We just ensure all users have the drivers installed and then there is no problem. It is important to note that the handheld will not charge properly via the PC unless the handheld is recognized (ie USB drivers are there) - it will only get a trickle charge and take 20 hours if they're missing.

cheers
    Hannah