Hello all, I am new to the forums and I am a new BlackBerry Admin ... Server Admins forum

mccain no está en línea Stack level 1

BlackBerry Best Practices

Advertisement

Hello all, I am new to the forums and I am a new BlackBerry Admin for my company.
    I am researching best practices among other Exchange/ BB enviroments.

First and formost I am curious on what everyone is doing for Best practices regarding Employee Termination and order it is handled.
    I am running Exchange 2k3 with BES 4.1.

Example: One of my Blackberry users have been terminated, Do you wipe and disable handheld first? Then disable said user's AD account? or does it matter what order?

Enlighten me please.

More to add later.

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    It's about six of one and a half dozen of the other. If you disable the unit in BES, the handheld is virtually worthless, except for any info it contains. If you wipe the handheld first, it would still be very tough to have anyone use it through BES.

Just my 2 cents worth, but I wipe the handheld first.

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    What I do is Send a Wipe device command from BES and allow the device to wipe and reset.

at that point the device is no longer on the BES, I can then go to BES and delete the account.

After that is done I disable the AD account and Exchange Mailbox.....my companies policy isto leave it in AD for 90 days, after 90 days I go in and PST the users Mail and then delete the Mailbox and AD account.

I have in the past deleted the AD account first and ran into problems trying to clean up the BES and Exchange because if you delete the AD account first your Orphan the AD strings that extend to the Exchange, BES, Network Drives, ETC and you have entries that just look like a bunch of numbers ( 1455-adsd-sdsd-978j-324e )
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

Thanks for the advice....Very helpful and close to the procedures to what i'm writting up for my company.
    Good to know i'm on the right track!

I am curious about the Wipe and disable hand held option on the BES.
    If you send the wipe and disable hand held command does that keep that phone being able to be re-added to the BES for an extended period of time?
    Or does it just reset it back to factory defaults and then you could reactivate the same phone again?

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by mccain View Post
    Thanks for the advice....Very helpful and close to the procedures to what i'm writting up for my company.
    Good to know i'm on the right track!

I am curious about the Wipe and disable hand held option on the BES.
    If you send the wipe and disable hand held command does that keep that phone being able to be re-added to the BES for an extended period of time?
    Or does it just reset it back to factory defaults and then you could reactivate the same phone again?

it just wipes it like the normal WIPE you perform from the device......then to reactivate it all you need to do is go into BES and set the activaction password, users info will still be there....except there will be no PIN....once you activate it again all is well .
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

NICE!
    I wish my company would buy me an BB to test with...oh well.
    Thanks for your help!

RJeffDay no está en línea Stack level 2
    Me too...

BB Admin for four years and still no company owned BB to test with...