I am setting up the BESSysLog feature of the BlackBerry Resource Kit. I am at ... Server Admins forum

silvrwood no está en línea Stack level 1

BESSysLog log notifications

Advertisement

I am setting up the BESSysLog feature of the BlackBerry Resource Kit. I am at the part where I need to edit the reg keys for each service I want to monitor at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logging Info.

The following services are available:

Attachment Conversion
    Attachment Service
    Backup Connector
    BlackBerry Alert
    Controller
    Database Consistency
    Dispatcher
    Exchange Connector
    Handheld Config
    Mailbox Agent
    Management Connector
    Manager
    Policy Service
    Router
    Synchronization Service

I am uncertain if I want alerts for all of these services. Is there a reference anywhere that tells me just what each of these does, or does anyone have recommendations on which to monitor?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: BESSysLog log notifications

This should help:

Procedures

The following methods can be used to actively monitor the Service Routing Protocol (SRP) connection to the BlackBerry Infrastructure.
    1. BESAlert
    2. Performance Monitor
    3. SNMP
    4. BESSyslog
    1. BESAlert

Important: The BESAlert monitoring method requires that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Event log level and BESAlert service is configured to ensure these events are actively monitored.
    1. Ensure BESAlert is configured to notify the appropriate users, as detailed in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Maintenance Guide for your version of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
    2. Configure message filters or similar alerts for the following BESAlert notification keywords:
      • [SRP] Connection Dropped
      • [SRP] Connection Lost
      • [SRP] Connection Established
      • [SRP] Connection Failed
    3. Using the above alerts allows you to actively monitor changes to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server SRP connection.

2. Performance Monitor

Use the Microsoft Performance Monitor application and configure the Connection State counter for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server performance object that you would like to monitor. For more information, see the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Maintenance Guide for your version of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
    Configure an Alert to be triggered when the Connection State value falls below 1. For instructions on configuring alerts within Performance Monitor, search for article 302558 in the Microsoft Support Knowledge Base.

3. SNMP

Using Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Monitoring Tools, the following SNMP Traps and Counters can be used to monitor changes and the overall health of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server SRP Connection State.

SNMP Trap Description
    besSRPConnectEvent This trap is triggered when the BlackBerry Enterprise Server SRP enters a Connected or Disconnected state.

SNMP Values Description Object Identifier
    besSysHealthSrpConnectedState Indicates if the BlackBerry Enterprise Server is connected to the wireless network. 1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.10
    besSysHealthSrpLastConnectDate Indicates the date and time that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server last connected to the wireless network successfully. 1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.11
    besSysHealthSrpReconnectSuccess Indicates the number of times that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server has reconnected to the wireless network successfully since startup. 1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.12
    besSysHealthSrpReconnectsFail Indicates the number of times that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server has failed to connect to the wireless network since startup. 1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.13
    besSysHealthSrpTotalSecNotConnected Indicates the total number of seconds that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server has not been connected to the wireless network since startup. 1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.14
    besSysHealthSrpLastErrorText Indicates the error text associated with the last failed connection attempt. 1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.15
    besSysHealthSrpLastErrorTime Indicates the date and time of the last connection error. 1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.16

The above table illustrates that with the use of SNMP you can be alerted when the SRP connection state changes (SNMP Trap), as well as actively monitor the connection state. A summary of the overall SRP functionality of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server can be collected in a similar way as the existing BlackBerry Enterprise Server log files. For more information on the available BlackBerry Enterprise Server SNMP Traps and Values, see the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.0 Maintenance Guide (Appendix C) for you BlackBerry Enterprise Server platform.

4. BlackBerry Resource Kit BESSysLog tool

The BESSysLog tool utilizes the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Sys Logging capabilities to capture events from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Similar to BESAlert it can be configured to send message alerts based on these events, with additional filtering and configuration options.
    Therefore, this tool can be used to monitor and alert on specific SRP related events, allowing for real-time monitoring. The BESSysLog tool, its usage, and supporting documentation can be found at http://www.blackberry.com/support/downloads/resourcekit.shtml

silvrwood no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: BESSysLog log notifications

Thank you. I had been working from that information to get as far as I did, but the documentation just doesn't describe just what each of the services does for which one can optionally configure the SysLogLevel and SysLogHost registry keys.

Has anyone else set these services for monitoring? Do others typically enable monitoring on all of the services? Are there any performance issues involved when these reg edits are made?