Hi there! I have been running BESExpress connecting to Exchange with two Blackberry users for ... Server Admins forum

beezwax no está en línea Stack level 1

Question BESExpress Processor Usage & Server Resets

Advertisement

Hi there!

I have been running BESExpress connecting to Exchange with two Blackberry users for around three months with very few issues - it was so simple to set up and deploy I could scarcely believe my luck!

However, yesterday I noticed BESAlert.exe running consistently at about 15% processor usage. It is still running at the same level today, and checking back through the logs it seems that this has been the case for around a week.

Is this "normal"?

Second query would be on restarting Blackberry Server services. We had a power cut about a month ago which seemed to introduce a range of calendar synchronisation problems - duplicated appointments, appointments not updated in the Blackberry units. In the end I had to empty the Blackberries and do a manual export of the Exchange data to the units. My theory was that the server had dumped or lost it's push queue, hence sending the devices out of synch - anyone had any experience of this? Us there a way to force a full resynchronisation with server wirelessly? Will I experience similar problems if I restart services gracefully?

Any thoughts or assistance much appreciated...

Ben.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: BESExpress Processor Usage & Server Resets

As the log size, calendar appointment etc that need to sync increase the CPU usage will tend to go up. What's you server's specs? (CPU, RAM, Drive(s) (IDE, SATA) & free space)

Quickest way to lower CPU usage would be to increase your server's RAM.

Thumbs up Re: BESExpress Processor Usage & Server Resets

Thanks for your reply,

It's a small relatively small server as there are only three of us! Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 2x80GB HDD SATA, no RAID, HDD has around 60% free on Drive 1 (system), 80% free drive 2 (data). The server runs both BESExpress and Exchange, as well as acting as fileserver and PDC for our little domain.

It's not a problem in itself as I'm not experiencing any degredation of service or responsiveness. Nor is there anything untoward in the event logs. It's more the change that concerns me, and with only two users I wouldn't have antipated the log sizes and quantities of data being very great.

I would like to restart the services to see if usage continues at this level - have you (or anyone else!) ever experienced sync problems as a result of restarting services?

Many thanks,

Ben.

PIN/ID
    ask

Ok thats a pretty good setup. Windows server 2000 or 2003 yea? From the "task manager" how many processes are running and what's the Commit Charge total and peak? (in MB and also the average % usage of RAM.)

Also right-click "my computer" > "properties" > "advanced" tab

under performance click "settings" > "advanced" tab and for processor scheduling select "background services" and memory usage select "Programs"

Restart may be needed.

Hi,

Ta! Yep, Win2003 SBS. 85 Processes in total, Commit charge at 1.7GB, limit 3.5GB, peak 1.7GB, 135MB of 1.5GB physical memory free, so about 9%.

All seems fairly reasonable to me and wouldn't normally concern me, but maybe an extra .5GB of memory wouldn't go amiss.

Performance settings already as per your recommendations.

Perhaps I'll just restart the process and have done with.

Thanks again for your advice.

B.

PIN/ID
    ask

If your commit charge total is 1.7GB and your physical RAM 1.5GB then your CPU issues are almost certain due to a lack of RAM. Your server will be memory swapping at this point. At 1.7GB I’d recommend expansion to 4GB.

85 processes seem high.
    Let's see what unnecessary processes you can disable. This is common issue with windows servers as they have to load almost every possible service available at startup which takes up mostly RAM AND some CPU as they stay running. Setting some services to “Disabled” or even “Manual” helps A LOT.

Here a few common processes you can disable:

Help and Support - do you ever click "start" > help and support? If not you can disable. (Disabled it will give a prompt if needed in future to enable.)

Themes - yup anything fancy runs on this service. Disable for default Windows GUI.

Remote registry - Enables remote users to modify registry settings on your server. If this service is stopped, the registry can be modified only by users on your server. Yup, by defualt your open 24/7 for remote user registry access. Unless your exchange and BES are on seperate servers this is best disabled. You may leave enabled or manual but be sure to have good firewall setup.

Make sure right click the above processes to check dependencies tap before you disable. I could list about 10 or 15 more but I want to play it very safe. Disable the above at your own risk.

Investigate these services and other services for yourself here before disabling:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

The objective,run ONLY services your server will use

Thanks for the advice,

To be fair I should have mentioned that the 85 processes included a bunch of Windows I had open for system management! I had been managing the server in an interactive session through some remote control software (RAdmin) for quite a while so was running quite a few mmc's and Internet Explorer windows. Oops on my part!

After closing these and having a look at the "naked" machine I'm down to 75 processes, commit of 1.4GB. This does still feel high so I will follow your advice on pruning the non-used or seldom used services, and get myself another GB or two of RAM if my budget will stretch to it. Thanks for your link - I will definitely review.

In the end I decided to just restart BESAlert. Interestingly it wouldn't do this gracefully - having given it half an hour, it's status remained at "stopping" and it's processor usage rocketed to 65%! I killed it off - using Process Explorer (rather than task manager) and then restarted it using the Services window of computer manager.

This seems to have worked and it's back down to negligible processor usage. Server is now putting along nicely at average of 2% processor usage overall, commit charge of 1.4GB.

Thanks for all your support hydn!

B.