Guys we have recently set up our BES and everything is great. I know this ... Server Admins forum

Gar-williams no está en línea Stack level 3

BES and Win Mobile Push Working Off the Same Exchange Server?

Advertisement

Guys

we have recently set up our BES and everything is great. I know this will sound like heresy, but I have 1 colleague who has a Win Mobile smart phone and is hoping to get WM Push Email up and running. Some people just refuse to accept what is better, but...

Does anyone know if it is possible to have both services running together? We have separate servers for Exchange and BES.

Thanks as always for any help

ibanyan no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24222F96

Re: BES and Win Mobile Push Working Off the Same Exchange Server?

The two are mutually exclusive. So the short answer is that you can do it. The WinMo push (which is really pull) will work via the Exchange server and OWA (as long as they are both at Exchange 2003 SP2). The BlackBerrys will continue to work via the BES.

You will find though that you have close to zero control over the WinMo environment and once the handheld is doing "push" email, the batteru will last about 14 hours.
    Craig Johnston
    --------------
    My book "Professional BlackBerry":
    http://tinyurl.com/gyqvz
    Mobile Computing Authority Podcast:
    http://mca.libsyn.com

Thanks ibanyan, appreciate it.

controlbb no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Make sure u have a SSL cert to allow windows mobile devices to do push on your owa.

garycutri no está en línea Stack level 3

I have a number of sites that are running WM5 Push Email and BES. No issues except for lots of support needed for WM5 users.
    Blackberry Support Forums - Asia Pacific
    www.blackberryforums.com.au

Thanks again for the responses guys. I think our Admin is being very risk averse - and rightly too. We had an Exchange meltdown because of a virus a few months back - a LOT of pain and hassle with the server rebuild followed!

Been a bit of a debate with some staff being WM5 fans - only because of multimedia, full web browsing and ability to edit Office docs on handhelds. I had an Ipaq a few years ago and found that editing office docs on a handheld was nice in theory but a load of bull in reality.

But apart from that, is WM5 any good as a BB (and BES in particular) alternative? I've been delighted with the BB and since we got the BES up and running it's even better. I've read mixed reports about it, so would be interested in views from anyone with experience. Maybe I'm looking for further confirmation that BB/BES was the right choice as our mobile standard