I currently have a Curve 8310 with the Enterprise Unlimited Data plan. The phone has ... Server Admins forum

liquidsense no está en línea Stack level 2

BES; what are you doing for me?

Advertisement

I currently have a Curve 8310 with the Enterprise Unlimited Data plan. The phone has been set up on my firm's server (outlook web access) - and I am receiving my corporate emails as I am supposed to. My calendar and contacts update appropriately.

I recently tried clicking the "personal email setup" icon. I inputed my corporate email address and password. To my surprise, but not likely any of yours', it worked just fine, as a BIS account. It had its own icon, and behaved just like any other gmail account that I had set up.

So, my question is this: what is BES doing for me that BIS won't do? Why am I paying the premium for Enterprise Unlimited, when the regular unlimited data would work just fine? I know they are not the same -- I would just love to have someone articulate the differences.

audit no está en línea BES Guru
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Re: BES; what are you doing for me?

BIS won't sync everything in your Outlook over the air like BES does. BES also backs up your BB so if you switch devices, when you hook up your new one and activate it, all your settings as well as a certain period of emails are pushed back down. BES offers better security if you lose your BB. There's a lot more but I'm honestly too tired to type it all out after a 5000 user upgrade on our BES servers.
    audit
    -
    Want to be the one of first people to know about RIM outages? Visit http://www.dataoutages.com

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

I think there's more going on in the background than we actually see with BES. BIS will only send and receive messages to your device. It doesn't sync your calendar, contacts, tasks, notes or any other parts besides the 'inbox'. As stated before many of your BB settings are also stored on the BES, so if you ever need to switch devices most settings can be sent right back to your new phone upon activation.

But my question is, why are you using outlook web access with a BES server?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

It just needs a seperate inbox like BIS
    BB8900 is mine!

MTWomg no está en línea Stack level 1

The real question is why does unlim enterprise data cost more than personal?

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

I think 'cause they can, and the enterprise allows you synchronization between your handheld and a bes server, just not using the BIS site to send messages back and forth from your corporate email.

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

BES traffic > BIS traffic** so they could get away with charging more like that I would assume.

**correct me if I'm wrong.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta View Post
    But my question is, why are you using outlook web access with a BES server?
    DCookSta, I'm sort of a newbie in this regard, so I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not even sure if I was using the proper terminology. I was just saying that when I access my firm email when I'm outside of the office, I use Outlook Web Access.

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsense View Post
    DCookSta, I'm sort of a newbie in this regard, so I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not even sure if I was using the proper terminology. I was just saying that when I access my firm email when I'm outside of the office, I use Outlook Web Access.
    With a BES you will be able to check your email directly from an application on the blackberry instead of connecting to the Outlook Web Access web page. This is the equivalent of checking your email on your computer via MS Outlook instead of loading your web browser to check email.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

Ahh...gotcha. I wasn't being clear. I meant to say that I access firm email via Outlook Web Access when checking my firm email on my computer, not Blackberry. Thanks to all for the clarifications. The fact that BES updates calendar items alone is reason enough for me to keep my Unlimited Enterprise plan.