I'm considering upgrading my BES from 4.0 to 4.1.6 (most current?), which is running on ... Server Admins forum

slemmer no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    206E69D8

BES upgrading and clustering

Advertisement

I'm considering upgrading my BES from 4.0 to 4.1.6 (most current?), which is running on Server 2K, but will be upgraded to Server 2K3. The question I have for you server folks out there is whether the most current software supports Server clustering? Since the BES is considered by my company as 'mission critical' I would like it to failover to a secondary server if/when the primary server should fail.

Logistically I figure I'd have to have the database in a location (SAN?) that both servers would reference.

Thanks

Stephen

wellsm no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by slemmer View Post
    I'm considering upgrading my BES from 4.0 to 4.1.6 (most current?), which is running on Server 2K, but will be upgraded to Server 2K3. The question I have for you server folks out there is whether the most current software supports Server clustering? Since the BES is considered by my company as 'mission critical' I would like it to failover to a secondary server if/when the primary server should fail.

Logistically I figure I'd have to have the database in a location (SAN?) that both servers would reference.

Thanks

Stephen
    I've never heard mention of BES with custering in a traditional sense, but RIM considers the BES to be mission critical as well and has a number of ways to make this work.

You already have the key - put the database on a separate box. Then you can put as many BES boxes online pointing to that database. (With licensed SRPs for each one, of course.) You can split out the users among the boxes for load sharing, and if one of the BESes fail you can move those users to one of the active boxes.

BES also supports SQL replication to another server, but only one way. (i.e. you can't, to my knowledge, point BES servers at each of the replication points, only one end. The other end is for backup only.)

If you really want to get crazy (or have performance issues) you can split many of the services from BES off onto other boxes. This helps your fault tolerance - if one box goes down you may not lose everything.

Even without additional licensing you could set up a second BES without starting the services. If the first BES fails you bring the second up and quickly reassign your users. Since both are pointing to the same DB server everthing should be fairly transparent to the users.

RIM has a doc on disaster recovery on the btsc, but I can never get direct links to there to work, so go search for "disaster recovery guide."

I also recommend taking the RIM classes on BES - I just took the Advanced Features of BES 416 class and there is a whole chapter on Business Continuity Management.

HotWax no está en línea BES Pro
    I think the best solution and for Domino the only solution is Neverfail. We currently have it running on our test server(s), soon to go into production.

http://www.neverfailgroup.com/

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    VMWare, Hardware fault tolerance. I have it running on it and so do others on here. It is the best solution in my opinion. With the right setup you can have no failure.

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by MWPatterson View Post
    VMWare, Hardware fault tolerance. I have it running on it and so do others on here. It is the best solution in my opinion. With the right setup you can have no failure.
    This is the setup on our BES.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

slemmer no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    206E69D8
    $$$